The goal of the countries is to find out more about why 13 of the whales have been found dead this year and respond with solutions, said David Gouveia, protected species monitoring program branch chief for NOAA Fisheries Greater Atlantic Region. That agency's Matthew Hardy says entanglement in fishing gear, and boat strikes are the chief threats.
They were considered the "right whale" to hunt because they were slow swimmers, grazed at the surface and floated when dead.
The report will take months to assemble, and a budget for the investigation has not been developed, officials said.
"The North Atlantic right whale recovery is fragile and one of most hard conservation challenges", he told reporters on a conference call. It will involve collecting data on each whale that died and considering factors such as changes to the environment and habitat.
The animals are among the rarest marine mammals in the world, with only about 500 still living.
Les investisseurs en embuscade à Jackson Hole — Wall Street
Mario Draghi a toutefois annoncé dès le 23 août qu'il n'y aurait pas de changement de cap européen de la politique monétaire. Par-delà l'ouverture de Wall Street en territoire positif, le CAC 40 a cédé un peu moins de 0,2% à 5.104 points.
Typically, 3.8 right whales per year are found dead in Canadian and U.S. waters combined.
Conservationists have said the right whale population is so small that a year of poor reproduction and heavy mortality could threaten its survival.
A 13whale was found dead just over 100 miles east of Cape Cod last week in what Dr. Charles "Stormy" Mayo from the Center for Coastal Studies in Provincetown called a "bad situation".
The whales migrate north every summer to feed.
"The first reported stranding in this event was on June 7, 2017 and was a dead North Atlantic right whale reported floating to the west of Prince Edward Island in the Gulf of St Lawrence, Canada", said a NOAA statement.
- NDP to eliminate bridge tolls
- 'The Bachelor's' Nick Viall and Vanessa Grimaldi break off engagement
- India's top court rules controversial Muslim divorce law unconstitutional
- Asuka Relinquishing NXT Women's Championship
- Jury convicts IN sheriff IN bribery case
- Confederate Flag Sales 'Boom' Since Charlottesville Protest
- Six injured as suburban train derails in Mumbai
- Google's Cloud Platform gets a cheaper, lower-performance networking tier
- L'individu radicalisé interpellé à Saint-Denis a reconnu qu'il fomentait un attentat
- 'GoT' star Nikolaj Coster-Waldau has a solution to HBO leak