In 10.38 seconds last night, Malaysian sprinter Khairul Hafiz Jantan ended his country's 14-year wait for another men's 100m gold.
The last time Malaysia bagged the gold in the blue ribband event was at the 2003 Vietnam Games when Nazmizan Muhammad emerged the victor.
When the starting gun for the men's 100m final went off, their cheers reached a crescendo and peaked as their hero, arms raised, crossed the finish line first.
The race was not particularly fast - Khairul Hafiz's time of 10.38 seconds was enough to edge out previous champion, Eric Shauwn Cray of Philippines, who ran 10.43.
He took a tumble on the track but got up nearly immediately, after which he was instantly surrounded by photographers as he embraced his coach Poad Kassim, Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak and Malaysia's Minister for Youth and Sports Khairy Jamaluddin.
The 19-year-old, from Melaka, became the first Malaysian man since Nazmizan Muhammad in 2003 to win the blue riband athletic event at the Games.
Tunis : Chahed ouvre le Tunisian African Empowerment Forum
A noter que TABC ambitionne de tripler le nombre des étudiants africains en Tunisie, soit 20 000 étudiants à l'horizon 2020. Ce forum est marqué par la participation de délégations venant de 19 pays.
Earlier, Zainatul Husniah Zulkifli won silver in the women's 100m sprint.
But Khairul Hafiz, who holds the national record of 10.18, will be remembered for the colour of his medal, not the time on the scoreboard.
He will be competing in the 200m and 4x100m relay today.
"I thank Allah for Khairul's victory".
"I am grateful because it is my first time at the SEA Games and I won gold for Malaysia, in Malaysia, with all my friends here".
"I want to go to the Olympics", he declared.
- Shailene Woodley Might Be Thinking About Moving Into Politics
- Trump could pardon Arpaio, spark fresh controversy
- Semi-fit Sanchez STILL a must start for Arsenal at Liverpool?
- Hong Kong shuts down in preparation for powerful typhoon
- Dacic: Serbia "could change its mind on Macedonia's name"
- Main suspect in Barcelona attack shot dead
- Andrew Miller Exits Monday Game With Injury
- No causalities reported in Kaifiyat Express derailment: Railways DG PRO
- Comcast Corporation (CMCSA) Shares Bought by Quantitative Investment Management LLC
- SOLD OUT announce new action RPG title 'IMMORTAL: UNCHAINED' from TOADMAN INTERACTIVE