Spanish authorities say they have dismantled a terror cell of mostly Moroccan natives that is believed to be responsible for vehicle attacks in Barcelona and Cambrils that killed 14 people and hurt more than 100 others.
Officials confirmed earlier in the day that they believed Abouyaaqoub, a 22-year-old Moroccan, was the man who drove a van into crowds of pedestrians on Barcelona's central Las Ramblas promenade last week, killing 13 people and injuring more than a hundred.
Es Satty was reportedly friends and acquaintances with some of those jailed of the Madrid train bombings in 2004, having spent four years in prison himself for drug trafficking and breaking Spanish immigration laws, the newspaper said.
Reuters reported that police believe that as many as two plotters may have been killed in the explosion in Alcanar, with Abouyaaqoub still on the run. That ended in a shootout with police, who killed five attackers.
About 120 butane gas cylinders were found there. So has Mohamed Aalaa, brother of Cambrils attacker Said, whose vehicle was used in that attack.
The bomb squad used a robot to approach his body.
"I was just waiting for my vehicle to be fixed and suddenly we heard gunfire and all hell was let loose", he said.
In the Moroccan town of M'rirt, relatives of Abouyaaqoub accused the imam of radicalising the young man, as well as his brother Houssein.
Spanish hospital officials updated the status of the injured victims of the Barcelona and Cambrils terror attacks Saturday, saying 12 people from the Barcelona attack remain in critical condition while one person remains in serious condition from the Cambrils attack.
Nepal announces to hold provincial, federal polls on November 26
On the current Indian-Chinese standoff, Mahara said: "We do not support any of our neighbours in this case". In recent years, India-Nepal partnership has witnessed significant growth in all areas of cooperation.
Abouyaaquob then rammed through the barricades at a police checkpoint as officers fired on the auto, authorities said.
Spanish police hunting for a suspect after the Barcelona attack that killed 13 people said on Sunday they could not rule out that he had slipped over the border into France.
But the suspects accidentally caused an explosion at the house on the eve of last Thursday's (Aug 17) attack in Barcelona - an error that likely forced them to modify their plans.
The terror cell we also believed to have been planning attacks with explosives across Barcelona.
But Ada Colau, the mayor of Barcelona, Spain's most popular tourist destination, hit back, arguing that "it's not the right place to talk today about what could have been avoided by placing bollards at Las Ramblas".
"He successfully exploited the dense, overlapping, pre-existing kinship, friendship and neighborhood ties between these young Muslims", Reinares said in an email to The Associated Press.
Police authorities in Catalonia said that they are ruling out the possibility that the van's driver would join the group that carried out the attack in Cambrils.
Las Ramblas regained some normality Monday, with throngs of people walking up and down, tourists arriving and residents going about their daily business.
Barcelona's team will wear black arm bands and special shirts with "We are all Barcelona" in the Catalan language in memory of victims.
- Johnson & Johnson ordered to pay US-$417M in talcum powder lawsuit
- Auburn men arrested in connection with Panama City Beach murder
- Wayne Rooney inscrit son 200e but en Premier League — Angleterre
- Discovery Museum to host safe solar eclipse viewing
- "Cloclo" en tête, le PSG cartonne sur Canal+
- Baby named 'Eclipse' born in SC
- Death of two cadets shocks IMA
- The AP Top 25 Poll
- FDA Approves Novel Fixed-Dose Combo Treatment for Gout
- Victoria Azarenka announces withdrawal from 2017 US Open