The woman had filed a divorce petition in the court as the husband failed to build a toilet despite repeated assurances.
A family court termed lack of toilet a cruelty and annulled the marriage of the woman on Friday. Following which, it approved the divorce petition filed by the 24-year-old. Due to the absence of a toilet in her marital home, the woman was living at her parent's house for the last two years.
An Indian court has given a woman permission to divorce her husband because their home did not have a toilet, forcing her to seek relief outdoors.
South Korea set for divisive military drills
Embassy in Seoul had no immediate response, instead referring requests for comment to the White House. America's annual joint military exercises with South Korea always frustrate North Korea.
The court said that absence of toilet has forced the woman to defecate in the open and is cruelty similar to "outraging the modesty of a woman". "Women in villages have to wait for dark to venture out in order to relieve and as a result, has to bear with physical pain", justice Sharma said in the judgment. It further observed that while people spend money on buying tobacco, liquor and mobile phones, they are not willing to construct toilets and protect the dignity of the families. In villages, women have to wait until sunset to answer nature's call.
The woman who was married in 2011, had approached the court in 2015, The Times of India reported.
The incident is certainly an instance of the film Toilet - Ek prem katha inspired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi's "Swachh Bharat Abhiyan", aims at highlighting the importance of hygienic sanitation facility in rural households.
- Texas A&M coach Kevin Sumlin 'proud' school canceled white nationalist rally
- North Korea warns of 'merciless strike' ahead of US-South Korea drills
- Gremlins 3 : Gizmo en grand danger !
- Top US general: North Korean nuclear attack is 'unimaginable'
- En pleine tension avec Pyongyang, Séoul et Washington entament des exercices
- READ: Robert E. Lee Wrote Against Erecting Confederate Statues
- Jay Z and Pink among headliners at V Festival
- Attentats de Barcelone et Cambrils: le point à 9H30
- 120 bonbonnes de gaz découvertes à Alcanar — Attentats en Espagne
- "Pas de victime sud-coréenne pour l'instant" — Attentat à Barcelone