Lewis' death comes after a long hospital stay in June when he was admitted to be treated with antibotics for a urinary tract injection, Las Vegas News 3 reported.
Lewis was perhaps best known for his work with actor-singer Dean Martin in the 1950s, starring in "The Bellboy" and "The Nutty Professor".
Lewis first became a star in a duo with Dean Martin, entertaining audiences in nightclubs, on television and in the movies.
The pair fell out in 1956, when Dean reportedly became exhausted of Jerry becoming the bigger star, and Jerry later went on to be one of the biggest draws in Hollywood thanks to classics such as 1960's The Bellboy and 1963's The Nutty Professor.
Lewis had five sons and adopted another child with his first wife Patti Palmer.
Lewis also dealt with diabetes, prostate cancer, meningitis and pulmonary fibrosis.
Un enfant de 11 ans retrouvé pendu dans sa chambre — Nord
C'est le frère ainé de la famille qui a fait la macabre découverte dans la nuit de samedi à dimanche à Pont-sur-Sambre ( Nord ). L'autopsie du corps, qui devrait être effectuée dans les prochains jours, permettra d'en savoir davantage.
Born in Newark, New Jersey as Joseph Levitch, Lewis grew up in a vaudeville family.
Lewis lost some fans when he criticized women doing comedy - "I think of (a female comedian) as a producing machine that brings babies in the world", he once said - and when he lashed out at MDA critics.
In the about 50 years he hosted the telethons, he raised over $2.6 billion worldwide for the cause.
Later generations knew him primarily as the conductor of weekend telethons to raise funds for victims of muscular dystrophy.
Some celebrities posted on Twitter about the comedian's passing.
- Ces joueurs d’origine africaine évoluant pour des nations européennes
- Un dimanche de recueillement à Barcelone — Attentats en Catalogne
- Govt extends date for filing GST returns, tax payment by 5 days
- 'Supermarket X' could have infected thousands with pig virus
- Madonna Shares First EVER Family Pic With ALL Her Children
- L'armée libanaise progresse face à l'EI à la frontière syrienne
- Mohammed VI accorde sa grâce à 415 personnes
- Une cache d'armes découverte en Seine-Saint-Denis
- Les compos sont là — LOSC-SM Caen
- Queen Elizabeth II offers condolences to Spanish King — Spain Terror Attack