Police tweeted that they "have shot down the perpetrators" in response to a terrorist attack.
During the attack an Australian boy, Julian Cadman, was separated from his mother Jom, who was badly hurt.
Police have arrested four people in connection with the attacks, three of them Moroccan and one from Spain's North African enclave of Melilla, Trapero said.
The day after the attack, Catalan police paid a visit to the restaurant and thanked Can and others working in Rey de Estambul for their help.
On Thursday evening, 14 people were killed and more than 100 others injured when a white van ploughed into a crowd in central Barcelona.
Meantime, one wanted man, Moussa Oukabir, was among the suspects killed by police early Friday in Cambrils, an official with a union for Spain's Civil Guard police force told The Associated Press.
Sydney pedestrians hit by out-of-control auto
Officers have established a crime scene and officers from the Metropolitan Crash Investigation Unit will be investigating. Police said the accident is suspected to have been caused by a medical episode and is not terror related.
After seeing his face in the global press, Oukabir reportedly handed himself into police. Alcanar was the scene of an explosion in a house shortly before midnight on Wednesday, which police are now linking to the attacks.
The injured and dead were from 34 different countries, including France, Germany, Italy, Pakistan, the Philippines and the U.S. The attack was claimed by the organization, the jihadist islamic State.
Local media said that Spanish police had now centered their manhunt on Younes Abouyaaqoub, a 22-year-old Moroccan, as the potential driver in Barcelona.
"We're united in grief", Spanish Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy said in a televised address after rushing to Barcelona.
The participants broke into applause before the crowd chanted repeatedly: "I am not afraid!"
- Trump's Korean rhetoric is reason for concern
- Russie: Un homme abattu par la police après une attaque au couteau
- 'Predator' star Sonny Landham breathes his last at 76
- LCD Soundsystem Unveil New Song "Tonite"
- Démission du gouvernement Mouamba — Congo-Brazzaville
- Emery juge les premiers pas de Neymar — PSG
- U.S. remains poised to attack North Korea
- L'ex-procureure générale se réfugie en Colombie — Venezuela
- Mort d'un jeune lors d'une rixe avec des migrants — Pas-de-Calais
- Tom's Hardware Italy's Bruno Gulotta Victim Of Barcelona Terrorist Attack