Dimanche, 15 Décembre 2019
Dernières nouvelles
Principale » USA insists military ready to counter North Korea

USA insists military ready to counter North Korea

18 Août 2017

Just last week, the communist regime threatened to fire four intermediate-range ballistic missiles over Japan into waters near the USA territory of Guam. "We will look for the USA to reaffirm it defence commitment, including the nuclear deterrent", he added.

But he said the campaign of economic and diplomatic pressure against North Korea over its nuclear and missile programs needs to be backed by "strong military consequences if North Korea chooses wrongly".

U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson and Defense Secretary James Mattis met Japanese Foreign Minister Taro Kono and the country's new Defense Minister Itsunori Onodera at the State Department to discuss the alliance between the two countries.

The ministry also plans to secure a budget to create a new "space unit" inside the self-defence Forces that will be tasked with protecting satellites that are used by Japan and the United States for among other purposes to detect ballistic missile launches.

"They got us", Bannon told the American Prospect. "We have confirmed the importance of cooperation through the security treaty", he said.

The two American officials published an oped last week in the Wall Street Journal proclaiming that the USA and the rest of the world were "united" in trying to denuclearize the Korean Peninsula.

The drills involving tens of thousands of US and South Korean troops are due to begin on Monday.

Chris Long Supports Malcolm Jenkins During National Anthem Protest
Jenkins has stood with his fist raised as his way to draw attention to the unfair treatment of minorities by law enforcement .

China, North Korea's main ally and trading partner, has urged the United States and South Korea to scrap the drills in exchange for North Korea calling a halt to its weapons programs.

Following their meeting, the USA and Japanese top diplomats and defence chiefs said they had bolstered their countries' alliance during what Mr Mattis described as a "warm and very productive" conversation.

The four leaders addressed the conference after their two plus two meeting at the Foggy Bottom headquarters of the State Department, during which the threat posed by North Korea consumed much of their time.

"I think highly of President Trump's commitment toward the security of allies", said Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe after a 30-minute phone call with the United States leader, the ninth time the two have spoken by telephone since Mr Trump was inaugurated in January.

"China believes that dialogue and consultations are the only effective avenue to resolve the peninsula issue and that military means can not become an option", China's Defence Ministry cited Fan as saying.

Mr Onodera said North Korea has plans to launch ballistic missiles to the waters close to Guam, and it is also advancing on their efforts to launch ICBM-class ballistic missiles, miniaturising nuclear weapons to warheads.

Easing tensions this week, North Korean media announced that Kim delayed a decision on firing four missiles toward Guam, home to a United States air base and Navy facility.

USA insists military ready to counter North Korea