President Trump has directed that Cyber Command-which is now a part of the National Security Agency-will become its own unified military command in a move that is meant to strengthen cyberspace operations and bolster USA defenses.
In a statement from the White House press office, Trump said the "United States Cyber Command's elevation will also help streamline command and control of time-sensitive cyberspace operations by consolidating them under a single commander with authorities commensurate with the importance of such operations".
Elevating Cyber Command will help secure funding for cyberspace operations, Trump said.
Trump's order directs the secretary of defense to examine separating Cyber Command and the National Security Agency.
With the elevation, Cyber Command takes its place among the other unified commands, which include the regional commands that divide up military responsibility around the globe, as well as functional commands including Special Operations Command, Strategic Command and Transportation Command.
Cyber Command was formed in 2010 from two smaller organizations subordinate to Strategic Command, the same military body responsible for US missile defenses.
New Stills Released For This Week's Game of Thrones
Not only this, the fifth episode has also garnered more than 30 million viewers online streaming services, and DVR playback. But they did ask him what dragon he'd choose to ride of the two that are available, and his response was rather telling.
While Cyber Command has historically been primarily focused on defending the military's cyber-infrastructure, it has recently taken on a role in offensive operations.
Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee, welcomed the move and applauded the administration's decision to defer a separation of NSA and CyberCom.
"This new Unified Combatant Command will strengthen our cyberspace operations and create more opportunities to improve our Nations defence", Trump said.
"He will announce recommendations on this matter at a later date", Trump said.
The elevation defers on the question of the dual-hat arrangement between CyberComand the National Security Agency, both of which are led by Rogers.
- Major Cruise Ships Will Still Call at Barcelona Following Terror Attack
- Une trêve sociale de cinq ans pour 249 milliards Fcfa — Côte d'Ivoire
- Asylum seekers being housed in Cornwall
- Essential Phone now available for purchase starting at $699
- Summary of Price Movements:: Enbridge Energy Partners, LP (EEP)
- Little Leaguers ready to show power at World Series'
- Here's What Littlefinger's Letter that Arya Found Says
- Ford To Pay $10.1M To Resolve EEOC Harassment Probe
- Abe tells top United States general of resolve to boost alliance
- Charlottesville mayor to make 'major announcement' regarding Lee statue