"On a day of mourning, a Red Cross official warned that smaller mudslides had occurred since Monday in eastern Freetown and in Sierra Leone's second city of Bo, with the rainy season far from over".
United Nations agencies have stepped up efforts to aid displaced families affected by the deadly flooding and landslides in Sierra Leon's capital Freetown and surrounding areas, a media report said on Friday.
She added: "Our new support will provide basic life-saving supplies like food, water, shelter and clothing to people who have lost everything". The death toll could reportedly reach 1000 as 600 more people are still missing, a phenomenon Seidu Nuhu believes deserves support from every single soul.
There was very little chance these partial corpses would be identified by relatives or friends, so they were buried in a mass grave in Waterloo, the same site where Ebola victims were buried.
Meanwhile, many of those left homeless are facing a struggle for food and shelter along with the risk of disease.
Rwanda: Kagame to Be Sworn in Today
Kenya has had friendly relations with Rwanda and President Kagame's re-election is expected to renew that friendship and alliance. President Kagame was elected into power after his victory in the Rwandan presidential election held on August 4.
The UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) said 3D mapping of affected neighbourhoods was taking place around Sugar Loaf mountain, which partially collapsed on Monday, and said voluntary evacuations may extend to more areas, potentially increasing the number of displaced.
Chairman of the Friendship Link, Richard Homewood, said: "Sierra Leone was already in a fragile state post-Ebola and the Hastings community will find it hard to cope with this still-unfolding disaster, we need to get help to those in need as soon as possible".
In recent years, trees have been cut down from the Western peninsular forest on Freetown's limits, with everything from shacks to mansions springing up haphazardly on the slopes.
Hull, a British city which is twinned with Freetown, has launched its own aid appeal, joining foreign governments including in Guinea, Israel, Liberia, Senegal and the European Union in sending food and cash to the stricken city.
- Several People Stabbed in Finland, Shots Reportedly Fired
- Riya Sen ties knot with Shivam Tiwari
- Maine Gov Says Removing Confederate Statues Is 'Like' Taking Down 9/11 Memorials
- Arsenal ready to make offer for unsettled PSG attacker Julian Draxler
- Messi and Ronaldo duel to be world's best again
- Patty Jenkins to get a huge pay-rise for Wonder Woman 2!
- Here Are the Freshly Leaked Renders of Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact
- Joselu completes move to Newcastle from Stoke
- Checchi Capital Advisers LLC Sells 3205 Shares of Ross Stores, Inc. (ROST)
- German minister slams Erdogan's 'interference' in Germany's vote