However, the England worldwide has suffered a Grade Three hamstring tear in training.
But Barkley now looks set to miss further playing time after scans revealed a grade-three tear of his hamstring muscle which is likely to require surgery.
Everton's new record signing Gylfi Sigurdsson is an "upgrade" on mooted Tottenham target Ross Barkley, who should "knuckle down" and fight for a place in the starting line-up under Ronald Koeman, according to former Toffees midfielder Don Hutchison.
Tottenham believe Barkley could be the bargain of the summer, as Mauricio Pochettino feels he could improve the 23-year-old considerably.
Barkley's future at Goodison Park has been a source of constant speculation since last May when rumours first emerged that he would not be penning a new contract with his boyhood club.
Clive Brunskill GettyImages
Tottenham and Chelsea have both been credited with interest in Barkley but are yet to make a formal approach or offer to the Goodison hierarchy.
Firstly, Barkley is an Everton youth product and, if signed, would increase Chelsea's home-grown quota for this season.
Reports in the British press on Wednesday morning suggested that Barkley is facing a further six weeks on the sidelines due to a hamstring injury, though Koeman is unsure of the severity of the problem at this stage.
United Kingdom targets calories in next phase of childhood obesity plan
Nicholls has questioned the Public Health England report and asked for further clarification. Similarly, pressure group Action on Sugar said the obesity plan needed to be more robust.
- Joselu completes move to Newcastle from Stoke
- La République En Marche s'offre un hôtel particulier comme nouveau QG (Exclu)
- Africa's Richest Man Will Fire Wenger If He Buys Arsenal
- Une trêve sociale de cinq ans pour 249 milliards Fcfa — Côte d'Ivoire
- Bitcoin: Australia Cracks Down on Digital Currency Exchanges
- Summary of Price Movements:: Enbridge Energy Partners, LP (EEP)
- Android O officially launching on August 21
- New Stills Released For This Week's Game of Thrones
- Little Leaguers ready to show power at World Series'
- Sir Bruce Forsyth dies at age 89!