An Army sergeant from Brooklyn was one of two soldiers killed in a combat mission in Iraq last Sunday.
The Pentagon spokesman, Army Col. Rob Manning, says an Army artillery unit was firing on an Islamic State mortar position "when a mishap occurred".
New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo ordered flags on state government buildings to be flown at half-staff on Wednesday.
Un pâtissier français détenu en Chine depuis cinq mois
Les autorités locales soupçonnent l'entreprise d'avoir utilisé des "farines périmées" pour confectionner et distribuer quelque 3 800 pains après le 6 mars.
Brooks was assigned to 2nd Battalion, 319th Airborne Field Artillery Regiment a component of the 82nd Airborne Division's 2nd Brigade Combat Team.
"On behalf of all New Yorkers, I extend my deepest condolences to Sgt. Brooks' family, friends and fellow soldiers", Cuomo said. The incident is under investigation, according to the Department of Defense. They were identified as 30-year-old Sgt. Roshain Brooks, of Brooklyn's Canarsie section, and 22-year-old Sgt. Allen Stigler, of Texas.
Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo directed all NY government buildings to fly the American flag at half-staff to honor U.S Army Sgt. Roshain Euvince Brooks.
- The Falcons house the world's most useless Chick-fil-A
- Matt Cullen will play another year in the National Hockey League with Minnesota Wild
- How to keep your eyes safe during the solar eclipse — Forget Sunglasses
- Conseil de sécurité de l'Onu : Le Mali réclame une aide
- 2 dead, over 100 injured during Dahi Handi celebrations in Mumbai
- Deux nouvelles recrues pour Marseille !
- Bristlecone Advisors LLC Has $2.15 Million Stake in Cisco Systems, Inc. (CSCO)
- Trump praises Kim Jong-Un's 'wise' decision to halt Guam missile test
- Duel Monaco-OM pour un jeune attaquant argentin — Mercato
- Dollar holds firm before Fed minutes, stocks rise