The U.S. Department of Justice has awarded North Dakota $10 million to help reimburse the state for costs associated with Dakota Access Pipeline (DAPL) protests.
The $10 million represents only a portion of the $38 million the state and Morton County have incurred from the monthslong protests, during which some 1,400 law enforcement officers assisted. Sen. John Hoeven, R-N.D., previously said the state shouldn't expect the federal government to cover the entire bill, and Gov. Doug Burgum's request to President Donald Trump for a major disaster declaration was denied earlier this year.
"Ensuring the safety of everyone in the area during the protests was a tremendous undertaking for our law enforcement", Hoeven said in a statement.
The funding will be used to pay for law enforcement salaries and expenditures during the crude oil pipeline protests, which comprised a majority of the costs, Kallanish Energy finds.
Rudy Giuliani hospitalized after fall, report says
It happened while he and his wife were hosting a barbecue at their home. "I was a catcher from a very young age, ' he said". The surgery has made a massive dent into Giuliani's plans to "play a lot of golf" while on vacation.
Hoeven said he would continue working to procure additional funding in the 2018 appropriations bills, negotiations for which are underway now. North Dakota hasn't yet ruled that offer out.
"I'm fine with them providing some reimbursement", he said. "It's an encouraging step forward that our state is now getting much of what it is due so our law enforcement can continue to do their jobs and serve a critical public service".
"This is a good start toward recovering the significant costs incurred as a result of the Obama administration's irresponsible inaction", Burgum said.
Rob Port, a conservative radio host at WDAY-AM in Fargo, said the administration may be reluctant to get into the business of reimbursing locals, citing a recent interview with Rep. Kevin Cramer, North Dakota Republican.
- Makhosi Khoza boycott amounts to 'gross ill-discipline'
- Donald Trump scandalise jusque dans son propre camp — Charlottesville
- Does Pakistan love controversy? Umar Akmal claims coach Mickey Arthur abused him
- Tigers, Astros talking Verlander deal
- 'M:I6' shoot halted as Tom Cruise injures ankle in stunt
- PM Modi's Kashmir outreach welcomed in Jammu and Kashmir
- De nouvelles recrues pour le FC Nantes
- Hyundai teases next-generation fuel cell SUV…
- La "Marine Le Pen" locale en burqa au Sénat
- Céline Dion Is An Embarrassing Hockey Mom, And We're Here For It