A Los Angeles cemetery will take down a monument honoring Confederate soldiers days after violence erupted during a white supremacist rally over a Confederate statue in Charlottesville, Virginia.
A granite marker at the graves of Confederate veterans has been removed from a cemetery in Hollywood, Calif. after threats of vandalism. By 9 Wednesday morning, the monument was gone, removed by a pickup truck and driven off while covered by a tarp.
"We are removing the monument at the request of the United Daughters of the Confederacy, Long Beach branch [who maintain the monument]", Hollywood Forever president and co-owner Tyler Cassity told LAist on Tuesday.
On Tuesday, the cemetery reported that someone vandalized the monument, writing "No" across the plaque.
Officials said Tuesday that it would be taken to a storage site, but the grave markers will remain. She wishes to remain anonymous for fear of retaliation.
Managers say they have no plans to remove the century-old statues that mark the site of a Civil War prison camp. "We have had the cemetery remove it until we decide what to do".
Bungie says Destiny silver appeared on Steam 'in error'
Activision , Bungie and NVIDIA have been working closely together to ensure gamers get the best possible visuals and performance with Destiny 2 on PC.
"I do not believe in slavery - no sane human would believe in that today", she said. "We don't want to be a place of contention or debate", said Cassidy. "We find hatred among white supremacists; we find hatred among Black Lives Matter", she said.
That uncle that always sends FWD: fwd: fwd: emails is now representing the president of the United States of America.
The monument will be put into storage later Wednesday. "I don't think a lot of people were aware of its presence", Theodore Hovey, cemetery spokesman and family services counselor, told the Times. They've stopped doing reenactments, as well as bringing guns and Confederate flags.
Alene Tchekmedyian is a Los Angeles Times writer.
"We feel they have a right to commemorate their dead, but Confederate flags and guns can be disturbing to our visitors", Cassity said.
- Hyundai teases next-generation fuel cell SUV…
- Trump to rally supporters next Tuesday in Phoenix
- Le pilote manceau Sébastien Bourdais autorisé à reprendre la compétition
- 'Gremlins 3' Has a "Twisted and Dark" Screenplay Says Writer Chris Columbus
- Rona to make Wallabies debut on the wing
- Autonomous glider to track critically endangered right whales
- ASUS launches camera-centric 'ZenFone Zoom S' at Rs 26999
- Infosys shares gain 4% on share buyback proposal
- DERNIÈRE HEURE - Accident mortel à l'Ange-Gardien : Le Murano a été localisé
- Graham: Trump's Charlottesville rhetoric 'dividing Americans, not healing them'