LeBlanc says there have been no new entanglements or collisions between whales and boats in the Gulf of St. Lawrence since a 10-knot speed limit was implemented on Friday.
The carcass was discovered on Saturday in the same area where several critically endangered North Atlantic right whales have been found dead over the past few months.
The move follows two months that saw an average of one North Atlantic right whale per week found dead in the shipping channel, which connects the Great Lakes to the Atlantic Ocean.
Dr. Kimberley Davies, a postdoctoral fellow in the Department of Oceanography, Dalhousie University with Chris Taggart, a renowned biological oceanographer at the university have developed the Whales, Habitat and Listening Experiment (WHaLE) project to study the impact of vessel strikes on the whales.
However, biologist Regina Asmutis-Silvia of the Plymouth, Massachusetts-based group Whale and Dolphin Conservation said time was of the essence in making sure that the species doesn't go extinct.
"This level of deaths in such a short time is unprecedented", she told The Associated Press. Only five baby right whales appear to have been born this year, and the species can't withstand many years when deaths outnumber births, Kraus said. "They need help now".
De nouvelles recrues pour le FC Nantes
Ce milieu de terrain de 27 ans, qui est plutôt habitué à évoluer sur le côté gauche, va rejoindre les Jaune et Vert pour 4 ans. Considéré à l'époque comme un grand espoir du football Belge, cet excellent dribbleur et passeur a eu du mal à confirmer.
Davies said right whales are a part of Nova Scotia's heritage and their dwindling numbers should be a big concern.
The U.S. and Canada have taken measures with a focus on protecting right whales.
Fisheries and Oceans Canada is using a host of new methods to try to help the whales, including surveillance flights along the Gulf of St. Lawrence coastline and closing a snow crab fishing area, said Sarah Gilbert, a spokeswoman for the department.
She said her project will eventually collect enough data to better understand the distribution of right whale prey fields and the boundaries of their habitats among others. The Canadian government has also announced new speed restrictions for ships, something which has been implemented in the USA too.
Officials are planning a response strategy, trying to determine if they can tow the carcass in to perform a necropsy or take samples at sea, she said.
- Workspace Group (LON:WKP) Broker Roundup
- ASUS launches camera-centric 'ZenFone Zoom S' at Rs 26999
- 'Gremlins 3' Has a "Twisted and Dark" Screenplay Says Writer Chris Columbus
- Does Pakistan love controversy? Umar Akmal claims coach Mickey Arthur abused him
- ND receiving federal dollars for DAPL protest reimbursement
- María Eugenia Vidal: "Estar y hacer es lo que nos define"
- CPI: Al Mahdi doit payer 2,7 millions d'euros de dommages
- B&Q owner reports fall in sales during second quarter
- Le Nokia 8 enfin dévoilé : aluminium et optique Zeiss
- Manchester bombing 'hero' charged with stealing credit card during attack