The National Park Service is evacuating hostile dialect written in red splash paint on the Lincoln Memorial Tuesday.
A preservation crew is working to remove the graffiti without damaging the stone on the historic memorial, officials said.
However, a tweet from a reporter in the nation's capital showed that remnants of the graffiti remained this afternoon. They are also removing "undecipherable vandalism" that was spray painted on a Smithsonian sign in the 1400 block of Constitution Avenue.
The Lincoln Memorial was similarly the site of vandalism in 2013, when a woman threw green paint at the iconic monument and then at the Washington National Cathedral.
Graffiti on a pillar on the Lincoln Memorial on August 15, 2017.
This is not the first time graffiti has appeared on Mall monuments this year. Local ABC affiliate WJLA reported that the graffiti included small phrases that appeared to be conspiracy theories, such as "Jackie shot JFK", "blood test is a lie, leukemia, cancer HIV get 2nd opinion" and "9/11/01 Misty pilots fly planes into WTC 1, 2, P, F".
Not surprising if North Korea tests missile again — Central Intelligence Agency chief
But from Pyongyang's perspective and in the eyes of some USA military experts, Kim and his generals have already won this round. But its comments appeared to signal a path to defuse the crisis by saying Kim would watch USA conduct before giving his orders.
"I served the greatest air force in the world, but to come here to see that is like a slap in our face", he said.
National Parks Service released pictures showing spray paint vandalism on the Lincoln Memorial in Washington D.C.
Defacing a national monument or memorial is rare but not unheard of. The woman was later found incompetent to stand trial.
Restoration crews took nearly a month to remove the green paint at the time.
The United States Park Police has asked anyone with information to contact the agency at 202-610-7515.
- Gylfi Sigurdsson off to Everton from Swansea City for £45 million
- Aaron Carter's ex-girlfriend: 'I'm not homophobic'
- Six new cases of West Nile Virus reported in Mississippi
- Nick Fury Not In Avengers 4 Or Infinity Wars
- Ferri, la mise au point d'Aulas — Lyon
- Kenya protest: Violence follows re-election of President Uhuru Kenyatta
- Does Short Sleep Mean Higher T2D Risk for Kids?
- Netflix renews Ozark for season 2
- Tillerson condemns ISIS 'genocide' of religious minorities
- Trump implored to fire 3 White House staffers