Sterling picked on the positive set of readings as traders begin to price in the possibility of a rate hike this year, although this remains unlikely, especially with United Kingdom inflation nudging lower and back towards target.
United Kingdom unemployment declined to 4.4% in the three months to June from 4.5% the previous month and compared with consensus forecasts of an unchanged rate.
The figure between April and June is the lowest since last November. Despite the strong jobs picture, however, real earnings continue to decline.
Compared with the previous three months, unemployment in Wales was 6,000 lower but it was 2,000 higher when compared with a year earlier.
Meanwhile, wage increases continued to fall further behind inflation.
The number of unemployed in Scotland increased by 3,000, to stand at 107,000.
Au moins 3000 bacheliers toujours sans affectation pour la rentrée
Selon la ministre de l'Enseignement supérieur, Frédérique Vidal, qui s'exprimait au micro de Franceinfo ce mercredi, entre 3000 et 5000 diplômés seraient encore sans affectation pour la rentrée.
Figures from the Office for National Statistics showed that earnings growth in the three months to June was 2.1% higher than in the same months of 2016 - up from 2.0% in the three months to May and a recent low of 1.8% in April.
There were 125,000 jobs created in the three months and the unemployment rate fell to 4.4 per cent.
The number of European Union workers in the United Kingdom rose in June to 2.4 million, reflecting a fall in unemployment among that group and a decline in those studying or otherwise outside the labor force.
"For the past ten years our earnings have flatlined", said Maike Currie, investment director for personal investing at Fidelity International.
GDP growth is estimated to have been just 0.3 per cent in the second quarter of 2017, following 0.2 per cent growth in the first quarter.
- Roman Polanski : Une troisième femme l'accuse d'agression sexuelle
- Over 3200 Galway students to pick up Leaving Cert results this morning
- Colombia officially declares peace with FARC after handover of weapons
- Trump warns US 'locked and loaded' as North readies missiles
- Google Pixel 2 Spotted on FCC
- Burton manager Nigel Clough dismisses Usain Bolt trial
- Une rentrée scolaire un peu moins chère... sauf pour les lycéens
- Four arrested in Mumbai over Game of Thrones episode leak
- Janus Capital Management Reduces Position in Kinder Morgan,
- Nothing is impossible - Barca and Valverde prepared to attack Madrid