Sterling picked on the positive set of readings as traders begin to price in the possibility of a rate hike this year, although this remains unlikely, especially with United Kingdom inflation nudging lower and back towards target.
United Kingdom unemployment declined to 4.4% in the three months to June from 4.5% the previous month and compared with consensus forecasts of an unchanged rate.
The figure between April and June is the lowest since last November. Despite the strong jobs picture, however, real earnings continue to decline.
Compared with the previous three months, unemployment in Wales was 6,000 lower but it was 2,000 higher when compared with a year earlier.
Meanwhile, wage increases continued to fall further behind inflation.
The number of unemployed in Scotland increased by 3,000, to stand at 107,000.
Colombia officially declares peace with FARC after handover of weapons
"Building peace is like building a cathedral, and today we are laying the foundation", said Mr. Santos, victor of last year's Nobel Peace Prize for his efforts to win an end to hostilities.
Figures from the Office for National Statistics showed that earnings growth in the three months to June was 2.1% higher than in the same months of 2016 - up from 2.0% in the three months to May and a recent low of 1.8% in April.
There were 125,000 jobs created in the three months and the unemployment rate fell to 4.4 per cent.
The number of European Union workers in the United Kingdom rose in June to 2.4 million, reflecting a fall in unemployment among that group and a decline in those studying or otherwise outside the labor force.
"For the past ten years our earnings have flatlined", said Maike Currie, investment director for personal investing at Fidelity International.
GDP growth is estimated to have been just 0.3 per cent in the second quarter of 2017, following 0.2 per cent growth in the first quarter.
- Essonne. Enquête sur la mort d'un homme placé en garde en vue
- Nokia 8 Launch Expected Today, Specifications
- Top US military officer warns NKorea that US military ready
- North Korea sends U.S. mixed messages
- Four arrested in Mumbai over Game of Thrones episode leak
- Simon Carpentier, musicien et co-fondateur du groupe Her, est décédé
- Agent confirms Newcastle and Palace offers for global stopper
- London's Big Ben goes silent for four years
- Au moins 3000 bacheliers toujours sans affectation pour la rentrée
- Melbourne Named World's Most Liveable City for Record Seventh Year