The statue there is of Supreme Court Justice Roger B. Taney, who made a pro-slavery ruling in the 1857 Dred Scott Case that deemed black Americans were not to be considered citizens of the U.S. While we can not hide from our history - nor should we - the time has come to make clear the difference between properly acknowledging our past and glorifying the darkest chapters of our history. "I believe removing the Justice Robert B. Taney statue from the State House grounds is the right thing to do, and we will ask the State House Trust to take that action immediately", Hogan said in a statement.
"The Maryland State House is a living, working museum that is is overseen by the State House Trust, and decisions regarding changes to monuments on the grounds are governed by the Trust". The other two members are Democratic Senate President Thomas V. Mike Miller and Charles Edson, the chair of the Maryland Historical Trust's board of trustees. Miller and Edson have indicated that if Hogan wants to remove the statue, they will agree.
Stifel Nicolaus Downgrades Rating On Dick's Sporting Goods Inc (DKS)
With 1.97 million avg volume, 4 days are for Aetna Incorporated New (NYSE:AET)'s short sellers to cover AET's short positions. Digging a bit further, company shares have been noted -55.84% off the 52 week high and -16.66% away from the 52 week low.
Efforts to remove Confederate statues in cities across the country have been reignited in the wake of the deadly clashes between white supremacists and counter-protesters in Charlottesville last weekend. His statue stands in Annapolis outside the State House.
Democratic state House Speaker Michael Busch on Monday called for the statue to be removed from the lawn, arguing that leaving it in place "would send a message that we condone what took place, that slavery is alright".
- Indian Hackers Deface 500 Pakistani Websites, Post Pro-India Content
- Une porte de sortie en Ligue 1 pour Sarr — Mercato OM
- Woman says she bit into dead rodent at Pennsylvania Chick-fil-A
- Après la Corée du Nord, Donald Trump menace le Venezuela — International
- Does Short Sleep Mean Higher T2D Risk for Kids?
- Aaron Carter's ex-girlfriend: 'I'm not homophobic'
- Not surprising if North Korea tests missile again — Central Intelligence Agency chief
- I can't influence Coutinho's decision: Liverpool skipper Henderson
- Emmanuel et Brigitte Macron sont en vacances à Marseille
- Qualcomm Adds Computer Vision, Biometric Cameras To Spectra Module Program