The statue there is of Supreme Court Justice Roger B. Taney, who made a pro-slavery ruling in the 1857 Dred Scott Case that deemed black Americans were not to be considered citizens of the U.S. While we can not hide from our history - nor should we - the time has come to make clear the difference between properly acknowledging our past and glorifying the darkest chapters of our history. "I believe removing the Justice Robert B. Taney statue from the State House grounds is the right thing to do, and we will ask the State House Trust to take that action immediately", Hogan said in a statement.
"The Maryland State House is a living, working museum that is is overseen by the State House Trust, and decisions regarding changes to monuments on the grounds are governed by the Trust". The other two members are Democratic Senate President Thomas V. Mike Miller and Charles Edson, the chair of the Maryland Historical Trust's board of trustees. Miller and Edson have indicated that if Hogan wants to remove the statue, they will agree.
'I thought I'd last longer than a carton of milk'
Scaramucci simply said he can't speak for the president, but he himself would encourage a stronger response. He told Colbert he would recommend that Trump do the show, saying: "I think it's been great".
Efforts to remove Confederate statues in cities across the country have been reignited in the wake of the deadly clashes between white supremacists and counter-protesters in Charlottesville last weekend. His statue stands in Annapolis outside the State House.
Democratic state House Speaker Michael Busch on Monday called for the statue to be removed from the lawn, arguing that leaving it in place "would send a message that we condone what took place, that slavery is alright".
- Après la Corée du Nord, Donald Trump menace le Venezuela — International
- Ferri, la mise au point d'Aulas — Lyon
- Mars buys stake in Preferred Brands
- Not surprising if North Korea tests missile again — Central Intelligence Agency chief
- Oprah Winfrey: Why I never married my partner of 31 years
- Gylfi Sigurdsson off to Everton from Swansea City for £45 million
- Nick Fury Not In Avengers 4 Or Infinity Wars
- Why Advance Auto Parts, Inc. (AAP) Is Tanking Today
- Mars to acquire majority stake in Asian food brand Tasty Bite
- Virat Kohli Tells Why Independence Day is Extra Special for Him