NHL Network analyst Brian Lawton caused a stir over the weekend by stating he "would not be surprised" if Boston made a decision to part with its high-scoring winger rather than continue trudging through sluggish contract negotiations. This rumor prompted swift, incredulous reactions from local beat writers, who assured Bruins fans that a trade would not happen.
Twenty one years old and brimming with enormous talent, David Pastrnak checks off all the important boxes as a historically certifiable trade chip for the Boston Bruins. He was good for 70 points in 75 games, surpassing the 30-goal mark and looking like he's only primed to get better.
So while there's no trade forthcoming, escaping the holding pattern the two sides are in doesn't seem imminent, either.
Pastrnak's agent J.P. Barry also responded to the Globe's request for comment: "The negotiations between myself and Don have been very open and both sides understand each other's positions. Hopefully we can agree on an overall structure that is amenable to both sides in the next month".
Premier League Clubs to Discuss Ending Transfer Window Before Start of Season
Premier League clubs will discuss proposals to move the transfer deadline to before the start of the season in future, TIME reports.
With multiple top young players dealt out of the system in the last five years, rumors began to circulate that the delayed extension was potentially a sign of an impending deal for the Czech forward.
Bruins training camp does not begin until September 14. And even if the two sides can't reach an agreement, Pastrnak's only options would be to sit out the National Hockey League season and/or make much less money to play in the KHL.
Sweeney seems confident that the Bruins and Pastrnak will, at least, agree to a short-term "bridge deal" if not a long-term extension before the start of the season on October 5.
- 3 people killed when auto crashes into SUV in Medford, Long Island
- Mars buys stake in Preferred Brands
- 'I thought I'd last longer than a carton of milk'
- Tillerson condemns ISIS 'genocide' of religious minorities
- To launch or not? Either way, North Korea may gain
- Johnny Depp to Produce TV Adaptation of The Secret World
- Vandals deface Lincoln Memorial with expletive - here's what they wrote
- Does Short Sleep Mean Higher T2D Risk for Kids?
- Six new cases of West Nile Virus reported in Mississippi
- Gylfi Sigurdsson off to Everton from Swansea City for £45 million