Responding to reporters' questions about North Korea's assertion that it might soon fire four ballistic missiles into the waters off Guam, a USA territory in the Pacific, Mattis made clear he did not want to be seen as escalating the tensions.
"I just got off the phone with Chief of Staff General John Kelly and with the President of the United States of America".
"We've seen the Chinese now say for among the first times that they believe the correct answer has to be a denuclearized peninsula", Pompeo said on "Fox News Sunday".
Still, the top envoys' meeting may deal with the recent spike in tensions between North Korea and U.S. over the former's missile and nuclear programme.
Pyongyang's detailed plans to land four missiles near Guam prompted a surge in tensions in the region last week, with U.S. President Donald Trump warning he would unleash "fire and fury" on North Korea if it threatened the United States.
Chrissy Teigen & John Legend Have Picture-Perfect Date Night
Unfortunately, that never happened-which is why I'm living vicariously through Chrissy Teigen and John Legend's daughter, Luna . She also covers her eyes at one point, and starts giggling, because seeing your dad on your favorite show is the absolute best.
He declared that any such North Korean attack could lead to war.
"You've become extremely famous", Trump said.
Backing the possibility of an imminent test, 38 North continued, were reports that the North recently held ejection tests of the cold-launch system, in which a missile is propelled by compressed gas before the engine ignites, preventing damage to the submarine.
And Pompeo said he fully expected Kim to continue to oversee missile tests and seek to advance the North Korean nuclear program in an effort to shore up the country's ability to strike the mainland United States with a nuclear weapon.
- Manchester United 4 - 0 West Ham: Romelu Lukaku off the mark
- After vehicle catches fire, Bengaluru businessman dies trying to save wife, children
- James Alex Fields, Alleged Charlottesville Attacker, Appears In Court
- Seahawks WR Paul Richardson suffers sprained AC joint against Chargers
- Conte Confirms Injury Blow, 4 Players To Miss Burnley Game
- Analysis: Trump turns to Russia probe to poke at his critics
- No looming nuclear war with North Korea
- L'UE appelle à une solution "pacifique" — Corée du Nord
- Police standoff with gunman prompts shelter-in-place in Lake County
- Perez's Agent 'Hopeful' Deportivo Deal Can Be Completed