Responding to reporters' questions about North Korea's assertion that it might soon fire four ballistic missiles into the waters off Guam, a USA territory in the Pacific, Mattis made clear he did not want to be seen as escalating the tensions.
"I just got off the phone with Chief of Staff General John Kelly and with the President of the United States of America".
"We've seen the Chinese now say for among the first times that they believe the correct answer has to be a denuclearized peninsula", Pompeo said on "Fox News Sunday".
Still, the top envoys' meeting may deal with the recent spike in tensions between North Korea and U.S. over the former's missile and nuclear programme.
Pyongyang's detailed plans to land four missiles near Guam prompted a surge in tensions in the region last week, with U.S. President Donald Trump warning he would unleash "fire and fury" on North Korea if it threatened the United States.
No looming nuclear war with North Korea
Pompeo on Fox News, when asked about the possibility of a missile north Korean nuclear strike on american soil. He said he doesn't think the U.S. is closer to war than a week ago, but closer to war than a decade ago.
He declared that any such North Korean attack could lead to war.
"You've become extremely famous", Trump said.
Backing the possibility of an imminent test, 38 North continued, were reports that the North recently held ejection tests of the cold-launch system, in which a missile is propelled by compressed gas before the engine ignites, preventing damage to the submarine.
And Pompeo said he fully expected Kim to continue to oversee missile tests and seek to advance the North Korean nuclear program in an effort to shore up the country's ability to strike the mainland United States with a nuclear weapon.
- James Alex Fields, Alleged Charlottesville Attacker, Appears In Court
- L'UE appelle à une solution "pacifique" — Corée du Nord
- After vehicle catches fire, Bengaluru businessman dies trying to save wife, children
- Conte Confirms Injury Blow, 4 Players To Miss Burnley Game
- Taylor Swift gagne son procès contre un DJ
- Iran's regional threat growing, Mossad head warns
- Perez's Agent 'Hopeful' Deportivo Deal Can Be Completed
- Thousands marched in solidarity with Charlottesville this weekend-take a look
- From labour standards to cutting red tape: Canada outlines broad NAFTA goals
- Police appeal over girls, 8 and 5, missing from Alyth