The senior Hashd al-Sha'abi official went on to say that commanders of the pro-government force have already held detailed meetings with their counterparts in the Iraqi army, and exchanged viewpoints concerning the plan for the liberation of Tal Afar.
The attack late Saturday came as Iraqi forces prepare an assault on an IS-held town west of Mosul after the country's prime minister declared victory over the extremists in the country's second-largest city in July.
In addition to the forces of the federal police, the spokesperson for the Hachd al-Chaabi, a coalition of paramilitary groups dominated by the shiite militias, has announced that his movement would take part also in the fighting.
A predominantly Turkmen city, Tal Afar was captured by Daesh in mid-2014 along with vast swathes of territory in northern and western Iraq.
Customary India-China border meet on I-Day unlikely
The report on trade comes as India and China have been locked in a tense military standoff in Doklam in the Sikkim sector. Download the News Nation Mobile App and stay connected with top stories from India and around the world.
Tal Afar is surrounded by Hashed Al Shaabi and cut off from Mosul in the east and the Syrian border to the north and west.
The participation of the Hashd al-Shaabi in the planned Tal Afar operation has sparked fears of a possible sectarian conflict.
Lieutenant Faraj Hamed said the Abbas Brigade, Ali Al-Akbar Brigade, the Badr Military Wing, the Imam Ali Brigades, the Imam Hussein Brigade, and the Hezbollah Battalions will participate in the fight to seize control of Tal Afar from Daesh.
After almost nine months of grueling urban combat against IS in Mosul, Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi declared victory there in July.
- No new permits in Oman for European eggs over insecticide scare
- Analysis: Trump turns to Russia probe to poke at his critics
- Bettis Shines in Return to Rockies
- Gold dips as investors seek riskier assets amid easing North Korea tensions
- Solar thermal for Port Augusta
- Taylor Swift gagne son procès contre un DJ
- RSS Chief Mohan Bhagwat barred from hoisting flag
- Waterloo train derailment: Passengers warned to avoid station all day
- Iran's regional threat growing, Mossad head warns
- Conte Confirms Injury Blow, 4 Players To Miss Burnley Game