"I was telling myself to go", she said.
Quote of the day: "It's really sad that I have to walk away", said Usain Bolt, whose anti-climatic major championships swansong included bronze in the 100m and a dramatic cramp in the anchor leg of the 4x100m relay.
Ayana was unable to burn off Obiri as she had done her rivals in the 10,000m - which she won by over 46sec - with the Kenyan content to let her 25-year-old rival do all the pace-setting. I am mentally strong so I knew I was capable.
Great Britain win gold as Usain Bolt pulls up in home straight
I don't want to say this, I understand we need to be ready early, but I think we took our clothes off a little too early. While Usain Bolt was cheered as he received his bronze medal but Gatlin got the opposite reaction.
Her strategy paid off perfectly as heading into the final lap she moved up onto Ayana's shoulder and then delivered her coup de grace. She has been plagued by injury this season and the 10,000 race on Aug.5 was her first of the season. With a last lap of 60.11, Obiri crossed the finish line in 14:34.87 to secure her first global outdoor title, punching the air in delight. "Compared to Rio this is a bigger achievement". I have been injured for the whole season and haven't been able to get over it.
Ayana also missed out on the 5000m title at the Olympic Games last summer when a stomach ailment left her weakened but she is still keen to attempt the same demanding double in future global championships. So I said, go.
Hassan described the 1500m final as a "nightmare" but she managed to salvage something from what would have been an otherwise disappointing championships with bronze in 14:42.73. "In time I will keep up with the best, Ayana and Obiri, I just have to work at the event".
- Brighton & Hove Albion broken down by dominant Manchester City
- Global markets jarred by North Korea fears
- Muslim woman wins $85k case
- BCE appelle à l'égalité dans l'héritage entre les deux sexes
- Caster Semenya takes second 800m world title
- WashPost: Sanctions on North Korea Not Enough
- Birla Corporation net profit down 54% in Q1
- Arsenal, Leicester all set for Premier League opener
- Doughnut shop norovirus outbreak victim count nears 250
- Exits game vs. Giants with leg injury