Environment Canada has confirmed that a tornado ripped through the Leamington and Wheatley-area Friday night.
"Farm buildings and sheds were damaged with one anchored shed completely destroyed. Farm equipment weighing over a ton was knocked over including a fork lift, a metal press and a grain drill", the agency said, adding that maximum winds were estimated as 180 km/h.
EC says as the storms moved through lower MI across Essex County and reached Leamington near 5.40 PM, photographs taken at that time support the confirmation of an EF-0 tornado with maximum winds of 130 km/h.
He says that the extent of the damage suggests the weather in Hawkesville was more serious than that in Leamington.
The track is estimated at about 5 kilometres.
Perseid meteor shower will light up the sky
Some meteor showers are slow, but we are moving into the Perseid stream so they are coming at us quite swiftly. Experts say that next year looks to be better because the meteor shower will coincide will a new moon.
"That looks like a tornado to me", said Rob Kuhn, a severe weather meteorologist with Environment Canada, of photos snapped by residents. "Power lines were snapped".
Fortunately, no injuries have been reported from either tornado.
"There's a mess of glass everywhere", Epp said.
The confirmed tornadoes brings the count to nine in southwestern Ontario so far this year.
He said the region typically sees about 14 tornadoes in a year.
- Liberty Media Corporation - Ser (NASDAQ:FWONK) Experiences Heavier than Usual Trading Volume
- Une voiture percute des personnes à Charlottesville, des blessés — USA
- Authorities search for inmate escaped from Cowley County facility
- Des contrôles sanitaires dans les élevages de poules du Bas-Rhin — Fipronil
- Olympics: LA approves host city contract for 2028 Games
- Derek Jeter's Group Buying Marlins For $1.2 Billion
- Yankees place Masahiro Tanaka on disabled list
- Trump on North Korea; Google scandal; Trouble at Snap
- N. Korea nerves push stocks down for third day
- S&P 500, Nasdaq, Dow Fell Lower on August 10 amid Global Tensions