The Lexington chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People has stated it supports the removal of two Confederate monuments in Lexington, one day after Mayor Jim Gray said he is taking steps to remove the statues from the former Fayette County Courthouse on Main Street.
The tragic events in Charlottesville today have accelerated the announcement I meant to make next week. "I think moving the statues to Veterans Park will allow the city to still honor history. We have thoroughly examined this issue, and heard from many of our citizens", Gray said on Twitter on Saturday.
"The tragic events in Charlottesville today have accelerated the announcement I meant to make next week", he continued.
Sanctions on North Korea Not Enough — WashPost
At the closing ceremonies of the 50th Asean Ministerial Meeting and Related Meetings, Foreign Affairs Secretary Alan Peter S. Ri says in the speech that responsibility for the Korean Peninsula crisis lies exclusively with Washington.
- Mayor Jim Gray (@JimGrayLexKY) August 12, 2017Tuesday I will ask Council to support Lexington's petition to the Ky Military Heritage Commission, a required next step. The statues of John Hunt Morgan and John C. Breckinridge stand outside the city's courthouse.
The neo-Nazis had gathered to protest the city's plans to remove a statue of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee.
But as clashes broke out ahead of the so-called "Unite the Right" rally Saturday morning, police declared the gathering an unlawful assembly, breaking up the event before it officially began.
- Ultrapar Participacoes SA (UGP) Declares $0.27 Dividend
- Retrouvé mort dans un ascenseur un mois après avoir appelé à l'aide
- Un homme de 93 ans fugue pour retrouver sa petite amie
- Indian ODI squad to face Sri Lanka announced
- Daesh Claims Responsibility for Killing 2 US Soldiers in Iraq
- Taylor Swift assault case: Judge throws out DJ's lawsuit
- Darjeeling unrest: Rajnath Singh invites GJM for talks today
- Le naufrage d'un sous-marin artisanal cache-t-il un meurtre — Danemark
- Dortmund suspend Dembele indefinitely
- Dovizioso vainqueur à Spielberg — MotoGP