After the operation got over, Director General of Police of Jammu & Kashmir SP Vaid, tweeted, "Today morning 3 Terrorists Eliminated at Zainpora Shopian". The Army officers retaliated, leading to a gunfight.
Groups of people had earlier relocated to the encounter site and made repeated attempts to help the holed-up militants to escape the security dragnet, the witnesses and officials said. News agency ANI quoted the state's senior superintendent of police as saying that one militant had been killed. He later succumbed to his grave bullet injuries. The wounded policemen have been shifted to Srinagar for the treatment. Earlier, the youth clashed with the security forces in Awneera to break the cordon around the village on Saturday. Top police official told Mirror that the killed terrorists are identified as Irfan Sheikh, Umar Majeed and Adil Malik. Two Army men had lost their life in the gunfight yesterday, while three others were injured.
Weekend tropical outlook: A depression could develop in the Atlantic
It is not expected to develop into a hurricane, as conditions will not be conducive for such development, AccuWeather reports. At 5 a.m., the center of Tropical Depression No. 8 was located about 310 miles north-northeast of the southern Bahamas.
Many civilians were injured when troops resorted to pellet firing on the protesters.
In a joint operation of 55 Rashtriya Rifles personnel, special operations group of police and Central Reserve Police Force, a mosque and four residential houses were blasted late last night in Awneera area.
The two martyred were identified as Sepoy Ilayaraja P, a resident of Tamil Nadu, and Sepoy Gawai Sumedh Waman from Maharashtra.
- Dortmund suspend Dembele indefinitely
- Taylor Swift assault case: Judge throws out DJ's lawsuit
- Daesh Claims Responsibility for Killing 2 US Soldiers in Iraq
- North Korea vows harsh retaliation against new United Nations sanctions
- Sanctions on North Korea Not Enough — WashPost
- UK Expected To Unveil Post-Brexit NI Border Plan This Week
- American Tourist In Germany Does Nazi Salute, Gets Beaten Up
- Suspect due in court in Hempstead slayings of 3 women
- Arsenal vs Leicester City: Wenger reveals secret of comeback win
- Ultrapar Participacoes SA (UGP) Declares $0.27 Dividend