Kenya's Margaret Wambui, bronze medallist at both the world indoors and Olympics previous year, won that heat, but Arzamasova's season's best of 2:01.92 was not fast enough to see her bag one of the faster loser places. The South African was fifth going through the bell in a fast pace of 57.98sec.
Niyonsaba herself finished strongly to take the silver medal, with Wilson easing down in the final meters knowing she had secured a medal.
Rennes offre 10 M€ pour De Préville
La proposition des " Clarets " ferait réfléchir la direction nordiste qui se heurte (pour le moment) à Marcelo Bielsa . Le club anglais aurait récemment transmis une offre de 13 millions à Lille pour l'ancien buteur du Stade Reims.
Hitting the home straight, Wilson and Niyonsaba were neck and neck before Semenya moved smoothly outside the lead duo and motored through the line for a convincing victory.
The 26-year-old South African was one of a number of women taking medication to lower her testosterone level until 2015 when the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) suspended an IAAF rule that enforced a limit on naturally occurring levels.
Semenya has studiously avoided the controversy, instead concentrating on her track performances and she won a bronze in the highly competitive 1500m on Monday in the opening race of her ambitious bid for a distance double.
"Yes, of course", said the two-time world gold medallist Semenya when asked whether she thought she could again medal in the two-lap race.
- What Ezekiel Elliott suspension means to the Cowboys' Super Bowl chances
- J&K: Army launches manhunt after terrorists attack 41 RR HQ
- Highwoods Properties, Inc. (HIW) Position Maintained by RMR Advisors LLC
- Dovizioso vainqueur à Spielberg — MotoGP
- Ex Al Shababa Leader Surrenders To Southwest State
- Odisha swine flu toll rises to six
- Suspect due in court in Hempstead slayings of 3 women
- Global markets jarred by North Korea fears
- Watch Out for Fake Eclipse Glasses
- Tom Cruise Gets Injured Doing Dangerous Movie Stunt