Second-half goals by Alli and Ben Davies ultimately did for the promoted Magpies, the visitors coasting to a 2-0 victory, but it was Shelvey's 49th-minute dismissal which opened the door after his side had scrapped their way to the break without major incident.
Shelvey, for reasons only he can explain, stood on Alli's foot as the Spurs player sat on the pitch.
Rafael Benitez's side, which had already lost Paul Dummett and debutant Florian Lejeune to injury, was unable to contain Spurs thereafter, with Alli making the breakthrough when he stretched to volley Christian Eriksen's exquisite delivery into the back of the net.
It will be a pleasing result for Spurs boss Mauricio Pochettino, who has fielded hard questions following Tottenham's absence of movement in the transfer market and the explosive comments from Danny Rose in which the left-back hit out at the way the club has been operating.
Trump Tells Guam Governor Nuclear Tensions Will Mean More Tourism
Dr Colin Alexander, an expert in East Asian political communications at Nottingham Trent University, underscored the point. He also assured "France's allies and partners in the region of our solidarity in the current period".
Harry Kane's tackle on Lejuene forced Benitez to take off the Frenchman. The Dane's pass by met by an on rushing Alli who slotted past Rob Elliot. Moussa Sissoko is back in Tyneside following his £30m move to White Hart Lane last summer, while Harry Kane and Dele Alli both start.
Newcastle's hopes of a comeback were dashed with 20 minutes remaining when the ball broke to full-back Davies inside the penalty area and he slotted past the advancing Elliot, while Kane hit a post in stoppage time to spare them further punishment.
- Ivanka Trump said the things her father wouldn't on Charlottesville
- Presenter Kirsty Gallacher was arrested over the weekend
- BinckBank Tour: Dumoulin vainqueur final
- Burnley 3-2 Chelsea: Reigning Premier League champs shocked in opening game
- Donald Trump to launch investigation into China trade violations
- Fired engineer James Damore: Google is 'almost like a cult' (GOOG)
- Trump's statements on North Korea reminiscent of Bush's preventive war doctrine
- Leonardo DiCaprio to play Leonardo da Vinci in new biopic
- Ben Arfa poussé à négocier : la Turquie ou la CFA du PSG ?
- Bain de foule pour Pierre-Ambroise Bosse à son retour à Paris