A day after CC Sabathia was placed on the 10-day disabled list with discomfort in the right knee, Masahiro Tanaka is joining him with right shoulder inflammation, the Yankees announced early Saturday afternoon.
"We decided he needs a break", Girardi said. "From a strength standpoint he comes out fine", said Girardi before referring to a magnetic resonance imaging test.
"You can MRI every pitcher and you're gonna find some inflammation somewhere", Girardi added.
Broncos add a lineman to replace Billy Winn, Derek Wolfe injures ankle
With depth NT Kyle Peko still recovering from a broken foot, the interior of the line was already a man short. He played 57.93 percent of all defensive snaps last season, a number that was expected to go up in 2017.
Tanaka's latest injury is not believed to be related to the partial tear of the ulnar collateral ligament in his pitching elbow that he sustained in July 2014. "I've had a tough time getting the soreness out of the area".
Tanaka's E.R.A. this season is the highest of his career by more than a run.
But Tanaka was having his best month in August, having allowed just three earned runs in 10 innings. Tanaka walked a career-high five batters in just four-plus innings on Wednesday night, an 11-5 Yankees win over the Blue Jays in Toronto. Brian Mitchell and Luis Cessa are options to temporarily replace him in the rotation.
- New York State Teachers Retirement System Reduces Position in BlackRock, Inc. (BLK)
- BidaskClub Downgrades Colliers International Group Inc
- China investigates Internet giants for illegal online content
- Peabody Energy Corporation (NYSE:BTU) on Focus After Report of More Shorts
- Haryana stalking case: Vikas Barala sent to judicial custody till August 25
- Rep. Keith Ellison: Kim Jong-un is 'Acting More Responsible' Than Trump
- N. Korea nerves push stocks down for third day
- Buccaneers cut Roberto Aguayo one year after trading up to draft kicker
- North Korea threatens physical actions after United Nations sanctions
- North Korea Has Markets Nervous But Not Panicked