As was reported in the last update on August 4, FDA tested other papayas imported from Mexico and isolated several types of Salmonella bacteria, including Salmonella Agona, Salmonella Kiambu, Salmonella Gaminara, Salmonella Thompson, and Salmonella Senftenberg. Ill people range in age from less than 1 year to 95, with a median age of 39.
So far, the CDC has found Maradol papayas from the Carica de Campeche farm in Mexico are the likely source of this multistate outbreak.
For their part, Mexican authorities have urged consumers not to view all Mexican papayas as tainted. This includes one death and 45 total hospitalizations. The farm is located on the Gulf of Mexico side of the Yucatan Peninsula.
Centers for Disease Control said OH was one of three new states reporting this week, in an expanding outbreak that started earlier this month.
Food safety testing measures at Carica de Campeche farm.
Trump praises new United Nations sanctions on North Korea
The "dual suspension" argument was first floated in March , when foreign minister Wang Yi spoke to reporters in Beijing . North Korea has accused the United States and South Korea of escalating tensions by conducting military drills.
If you aren't where your papayas are from, you should ask the store about the place of purchase. Virginia has had 11 cases, Pennsylvania seven and Maryland has had six.
The Campeche farm has been added to an import alert which allows FDA field personnel to stop fresh produce from entering the USA from the farm until it's proven to have resolved issues that caused the bacterial contamination.
Most people infected with salmonella develop diarrhea, fever and abdominal cramps within 12 to 72 hours of infection. It was not immediately clear how the papaya was contaminated, an FDA spokesman said.
Three brands of Maradol papayas have been recalled: Caribeña brand, distributed by Grande Produce; certain Cavi brand papayas distributed by Agroson's; and Valery brand papayas, distributed by Freshtex Produce, LLC. Among 98 people with available information, 66 (67%) are of Hispanic ethnicity.
- Teekay LNG Partners LP (NYSE:TGP) Sees Significantly Lower Trading Volume
- Liverpool's owners rule out sale of Philippe Coutinho
- Far-right's anti-refugee ship helped out by refugee rescue boat
- RCA's Roku TVs make one big sacrifice to be so affordable
- Lack of oxygen kills 30 children in Uttar Pradesh
- L2 : Le Havre et Reims continuent le sans-faute
- Trump remercie Poutine d'avoir diminué les dépenses américaines
- Hike Messenger acquires tech startup Creo
- 2 brothers accused of supporting ISIS
- Pochettino promises to break Spurs' transfer duck