Seoul's Joint Chiefs of Staff spokesman Roh Jae-cheon said Thursday that the USA and South Korean militaries are prepared to "immediately and sternly punish" any kind of provocation by North Korea, but didn't elaborate on how the allies are preparing. "It doesn't need another characterization beyond the fact that it would be catastrophic".
Deviating from the tone of President Trump, who said the USA would unleash "fire and fury" upon North Korea, Mattis stressed that the route forward would be diplomatic, and he repeated the importance of the unanimous 15-1 United Nations Security Council vote to impose economic sanctions on North Korea.
"We want to use diplomacy".
Meanwhile, various media outlets have reported that North Korea now has the ability to miniaturize a nuclear warhead for placement on an intercontinental ballistic missile and the regime has threatened to "envelope Guam with fire".
The North Korean statement also says the military action its army "is about to take" will be effective for restraining America's "frantic moves" in and near the southern part of the Korean Peninsula.
Tillerson says no 'imminent threat' from North Korea
And while Mattis warned on Wednesday that North Korea would be "grossly overmatched" by the US and its allies if a military conflict were to break out, some senior administration officials have provided a counterpoint to the President's more inflammatory rhetoric.
"It's [North Korea's] aligning the United Nations in very serious sanctions, and I would just tell you that it did not happen by accident", Mattis said.
Tillerson's more moderate line, however, was seemingly dismissed by Deputy Assistant to the President Sebastian Gorka in an interview with BBC on Thursday.
After days of fiery rhetoric from both the United States and North Korea, Mr Mattis said war would be "catastrophic" and that diplomacy was gaining results.
Fresh Del Monte Produce, Inc. (NYSE:FDP) VP Sells $180279.00 in Stock
Following the completion of the transaction, the senior vice president now owns 6,175 shares in the company, valued at $293,930. Eqis Capital Management Inc. raised its stake in shares of Fresh Del Monte Produce by 3.5% in the second quarter.
- OL : Pierre Ménès ratatine les deux héros de la victoire à Rennes !
- Aggressive North Korean Rhetoric Boosts Gold Prices To 8-Week High
- (TSE:T) Target Price at $47.50
- Police release CCTV of 83-year-old dog walker stabbed to death
- Markets extend losses as Korea tensions escalate
- US Airstrikes Kill 16 Civilians in Afghanistan
- Mumbai Police arrest Ola cab driver for allegedly molesting passenger
- Williams Capital Reiterates $47.00 Price Target for RSP Permian, Inc. (RSPP)
- La vitamine B3 pourrait empêcher des fausses couches
- Recent Research Analysts' Ratings Changes for CyrusOne (CONE)