It was a glorious win for 23-year-old Ethiopian Edris, the fastest man in the world this year, who had lost all his five previous meetings with Farah.
The British record holder equalled her season's best with a 1.95 metre effort but couldn't get over 1.97m, which would have been just a centimetre under her personal best from last year's Rio Olympics.
Farah, a two-time double world champion and two time double Olympic champion, finished in 13:33.22 just failing to repeat his memorable Olympic double on the same track in 2012.
Farah narrowly missed out on a remarkable fifth consecutive major championships distance double in London but don't say he settled for silver.
Paul Chelimo of the United States took bronze. Perhaps this was a step too far into greatness, even for an athlete like Farah.
"Tactically, they worked as a team", said Farah. It doesn't quite sink in until you compete here and cross the line - I had a couple of minutes to myself - that this is it.
"I don't think there was any more I could have done".
Peabody Energy Corporation (NYSE:BTU) on Focus After Report of More Shorts
Parkwood LLC acquired a new position in shares of Peabody Energy Corporation during the second quarter valued at about $594,000. Following the acquisition, the insider now directly owns 689,410 shares in the company, valued at approximately $16,194,240.90.
He fell several metres behind them going down the back straight.
"There's more need for us to demonstrate that we have some incredible talent, but the athletes have also got to realise that they've also got a sizeable part to play in this".
This race was not as bruising and Farah looked in control until the final 100metres.
It is also about Kenya's bid to end 12-year gold drought in men's 5,000m, which Benjamin Kipkoech Limo last won in Helsinki, Finland, in 2005.
For Farah, there will be no comeback on the track, as he now moves up the marathon looking to extend his gold medal haul.
Coe said: "I was chatting to Usain before the medal ceremony and, slightly tongue-in-cheek, he looked at me and said, 'So what do you want me to do now, boss?'" "I feel happy that I ran with Mo Farah".
- Olympics: LA approves host city contract for 2028 Games
- BidaskClub Downgrades Colliers International Group Inc
- Des contrôles sanitaires dans les élevages de poules du Bas-Rhin — Fipronil
- Une voiture percute des personnes à Charlottesville, des blessés — USA
- This is why Littlefinger panicked when Bran said 'chaos is a ladder'
- United Fans Will Love Conte's Comments On Matic
- Beijing Outraged as US Destroyer Approaches Disputed South China Sea Island
- Derek Jeter's Group Buying Marlins For $1.2 Billion
- Trump on North Korea; Google scandal; Trouble at Snap
- Loeb Partners Corp Lowers Stake in Empire State Realty Trust, Inc. (ESRT)