But Arsenal's pressure in the final half hour turned the game back their way and Aaron Ramsey equalised with seven minutes remaining before Giroud headed the 85th minute victor.
Shinji Okazaki scored a fifth minute equaliser, Jamie Vardy put Leicester ahead and Danny Welbeck levelled for Arsenal before halftime.
Pushed on whether he thought Giroud could leave before the transfer window closes on August 31, Wenger was adamant.
"You know, I must say I opened the door for him at some stage because I know that it's important for him to play". "He made a decision to stay and it was one of the great days of recent weeks for me".
It was only the second opening day victory in seven seasons for the Gunners who are coming off a torturous campaign that saw them finish outside the Champions League places for the first time in 21 years.
64% des Français sont mécontents de l'action d'Emmanuel Macron
Le vote de la loi de moralisation de la vie publique satisfait 55% des Français interrogés, le projet de réforme du Code du travail 31% seulement.
"If you were a manager, you're on the bench when you're 3-2 down with 20 minutes to go, and you win 4-3, you're more happy than concerned", said Wenger.
"Scoring three goals away from home is a positive and we'll get back on the training field to make sure we sort the problems out". "We were quite good previous year on corners and overall I believe that with a bit of work we can get that out of the system", the French coach added.
Leicester boss Craig Shakespeare was also pleased - even if the Foxes headed back to the East Midlands with nothing to show for their evening's endeavour. He adapts slowly to the way we want to play.
Shakespeare was true to his word and started Riyad Mahrez despite the Algeria worldwide asking to leave the King Power Stadium.
When asked if he expected Mahrez to stay, he said: "Who knows?" Riyad has been very focused.
- Giroud confirms Arsenal stay after opening-day victor
- Manchester United next summer signing is "90% done"
- Guardiola returns to Manchester City drawing board
- Gov Calvo receives phone call from US President
- Arsenal vs. Leicester City
- Guam Governor Says Trump Told Him North Korea Threats Will Increase Tourism
- Manchester United vs West Ham: Potential XI with three at the back
- European markets open lower on Friday
- Everton vs Stoke 12 Aug 2017: EPL Preview and Predictions
- Juveniles copan lista preliminar de Uruguay para enfrentar a Argentina y Paraguay