The Iranian government does not recognize the state of Israel, and has no official ties with the country, which Iranian officials repeatedly have vowed to destroy.
Midfielders Haji Safi and Masoud Shojaei have been axed from the Iranian national team after playing for their Greek club side against Israel's Maccabi Tel Aviv.
"Shojaei and Haji Safi have no place in Iran's national football team anymore because they crossed the country's red line", Davarzani told state television.
Prominent football players and many ordinary Iranians have backed the two players on social media, saying they had no choice but to play the match.
But Vali Nasr, a well-known Iran-born Middle East analyst and scholar, argued the Iranian players were actually bound contractually to play against the Israeli athletes as part of their engagement for the Greek team, and therefore should not be punished by Iran.
The move prompted thousands of speakers of Persian, including Iranians living in the Islamic Republic or beyond, to call on the FIFA soccer federation to impose sanctions on Iran for the move, according to Omid Memarian, A New York-based journalist.
Gorka: Tillerson Comments Taken Out of Context
North Korea responded by claiming it is preparing a plan to fire missiles at the U.S. territory of Guam in the western Pacific. Obviously, the Secretary's comment didn't go down well with Gorka who insisted it was beyond Tillerson's jurisdiction.
But both played the full 90 minutes in the August 4 match in Greece, which their team lost, 1-0.
FIFA could fine Iran for imposing the ban, since it strictly prohibits mixing politics with global football.
"What is the fuss?"
Rouhani, who campaigned on expanding personal freedoms and improving relations with the West, has frustrated supporters by failing to appoint any women to his Cabinet - an apparent show of deference to the conservative clerics who are the custodians of the nation's theocracy.
After Iran's victory over Uzbekistan in June in Tehran in front of 60,000 men, Mr. Shojaei said, "They should set a course that women are also allowed to come to stadiums in the future". The country has already qualified for the 2018 FIFA World Cup, but Shojaei and Haji Safi would've been invaluable as Iran looks to advance to the knockout stages of the tournament for the first time next summer in Russian Federation.
- Hillary Clinton en caftan marocain à un mariage (Photos)
- Jaitley: Forces have enough ammo to face any situation
- Sanchez to miss start of season for Arsenal
- Some schools are closing on eclipse day
- The Broad City Girls Just Dropped a Line of Sex Toys
- Arsenal score two late goals for comeback win vs. Leicester City
- Noch kein Verdächtiger nach Fund von Leichenteilen in Hamburger Gewässern
- 40-year Floyd Mayweather looking ready for Conor McGregor during media workout
- Ces joueurs d’origine africaine évoluant pour des nations européennes
- Man City set to spend another £110m on Busquets and Van Dijk