North Korea freed a Canadian pastor serving a life sentence there on humanitarian grounds, the official KCNA news agency said on Wednesday, just hours after the United States warned it would counter any threat from the North with "fire and fury".
On Wednesday, North Korea said it was considering plans for a missile strike on the U.S. Pacific territory of Guam, just hours after President Donald Trump told the North that any threat to the United States would be met with "fire and fury".
"We stand by all of our allies very much including the United States. When they are threatened, we are there", she said.
Freeland said the conversation with North Korean foreign minister Ri Yong-ho occurred on Sunday on the sidelines of an Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean) meeting of foreign ministers.
Grant Perry Fully Reinstated
The University and Michigan Athletic Department have closely followed the legal proceedings involving Grant Perry since October. Perry allegedly grabbed a woman's backside and groin outside an East Lansing bar before running away from police.
There was no obvious direct connection between the release and the standoff with the United States, but North Korea has in the past attracted the attention of Washington, and visits by high-profile Americans, with the detention and release of USA citizens.
Freeland said Canada is "working with our global partners to seek a resolution, a de-escalation" in the situation.
Hyeon Soo Lim, a Toronto-area pastor who was detained in North Korea for over two years, is back in the city after catching a connecting flight in Ottawa.
The South Korean-born pastor had been accused of subversive acts against Pyongyang, an allegation Canadian authorities strongly denied.
- Pochettino forgives Danny Rose after criticism
- After voting for sanctions, China tells North Korea to act 'smart'
- Late goal gives Arsenal EPL thriller win
- Google's native camera app now has selfie flash
- Mobile US (TMUS) Given Daily Media Sentiment Score of 0.23
- Corea del Nord - Stati Uniti, le provocazioni continuano
- Guam Governor Says Trump Told Him North Korea Threats Will Increase Tourism
- SC warns citizens of 'Lizard Man' sightings during solar eclipse
- Oeufs contaminés : des lots frelatés vendus en France
- Guardiola says he's not moved by talk that Man City are favourites