China has accused the United States government of violating global laws as well as severely harming Beijing's sovereignty and security when it sanctioned a U.S. navy destroyer to carry out a "freedom of navigation operation" near a disputed island in the West Philippine Sea/South China Sea.
China, which claims virtually the entire South China Sea, routinely protests such operations, which President Donald Trump's administration has continued partly to reassure allies locked in territorial disputes with Beijing. Beijing said the move was aimed at challenging its "indisputable sovereignty" over the disputed waters.
Sailing within those 12 miles is meant to show that the United States does not recognize territorial claims there.
USA national security advisor Lt Gen H R McMaster had said recently that "China is not doing enough on North Korea which continues to violate global norms by conducting missile tests".
Two other US Navy ships approached China-claimed islands in the South China Sea in July and May.
China has territorial disputes with its neighbours over the area.
Buccaneers cut Roberto Aguayo one year after trading up to draft kicker
I hit it good and it just started to fade. "When you get bored doing something, 'well there's more I can do". It didn't help Aguayo's case when Nick Folk drilled a 45-yard field goal midway through the third quarter.
The United States has said that it would like to see more worldwide participation in freedom of navigation operations in the South China Sea.
The whole territory of the South China Sea, which is believed to be extremely rich in energy resources, is disputed.
Chinese defence ministry spokesman Wu Qian said the situation in the South China Sea has "stabilised" due to the "joint efforts" of China and neighbouring countries but the United States operation threatened "peace and stability in the region".
The Pentagon declined to provide any details but said that all operations are conducted in accordance with worldwide law.
"The US provocation also forced the Chinese side to take measures to further enhance the national defense capability", the ministry added. The operations, according to anonymous officials, were meant to challenge China's claim on trade routes now contested by Brunei, Malaysia, the Philippines, Taiwan, and Vietnam.
The Foreign Ministry also said tensions have eased because of regional efforts.
- BidaskClub Downgrades Colliers International Group Inc
- Une voiture percute des personnes à Charlottesville, des blessés — USA
- Stephen Colbert mocks Donald Trump with opening monologue on The Late Show
- Alexis Sanchez out for ´a while´, confirms Wenger
- Supermarket Egg Sandwiches And Salads Are Being Recalled Over A Contamination Scare
- Sa nièce se filme en train de mettre son bébé au frigo
- Broncos add a lineman to replace Billy Winn, Derek Wolfe injures ankle
- New York State Teachers Retirement System Reduces Position in BlackRock, Inc. (BLK)
- This is why Littlefinger panicked when Bran said 'chaos is a ladder'
- N. Korea nerves push stocks down for third day