A newborn baby girl was found Thursday abandoned and covered in bugs at a Houston, Texas, apartment complex.
Peterson found the newborn baby girl as he was leaving his apartment, which is located in the 17700 block of Red Oak Drive in Houston's northside.
But Peterson, who was on his way to work at 5 a.m., discovered something completely different: an hours-old newborn baby, covered in ants and dirt, laying in a flowerbed. He said he yelled for his wife to call 911 as he ran to find something to get the baby warm and clean.
"She had the mucus and the blood and umbilical cord and everything", he said.
Investigators said they followed a trail of blood to a nearby apartment. I said, 'Oh, man, there is a baby right here. "You see her footprints on the ground". The unidentified woman claimed she didn't know anything about a baby girl being placed behind the bushes.
Detectives knocked on the apartment's door, but the residents refused to open it.
The infant, meanwhile, is under observation at a local hospital.
Deandre Skillern claims to be the the abandoned baby's father and he wants custody
"He heard a murmur and a cry, what he thought was actually a cat", Harris County Deputy Thomas Gilliland told reporters.
But then a 21-year-old woman in the apartment admitted that she was the baby's mother, according to ABC7. "It's a miracle the child was found".
Both the mother and baby were taken to a hospital for evaluation; the mother appeared physically fine, Spencer said.
Investigators say the mother and another person are in custody and could face charges.
The Safe Haven or Baby Moses law gives parents who are unable to care for their child the right to leave the child somewhere like a fire station or hospital without prosecution.
"She walked all the way around that corner bleeding", Peterson said, pointing in the direction.
L'OM sur un gros espoir argentin en attaque — Mercato
Si la piste Olivier Giroud semble définitivement s'éloigner, une autre vient de faire son apparition du coté de l'Espagne. Lucas Ocampos est de retour à l'Olympique de Marseille après deux prêts successifs au Genoa et à l'AC Milan.
- Backed Syrian fighters link up from east, west in Raqqa
- Trump praises new United Nations sanctions on North Korea
- Pep Praises New City Signing
- US Atlantic hurricane season could be 'extremely active'
- Chevron Corporation (CVX) Shares Sold by Schwab Charles Investment Management Inc
- WW3 WARNING: Pentagon threatens to 'DESTROY' North Korea after Guam missile threat
- Georgia Official Calls for Criminal Investigation into R. Kelly, Cites New Evidence
- Nigerian military makes unauthorized search of United Nations base
- La Libye interdit ses eaux aux ONG de secours en mer
- Dolphins Rookie LB Raekwon McMillan Tears ACL