A newborn baby girl was found Thursday abandoned and covered in bugs at a Houston, Texas, apartment complex.
Peterson found the newborn baby girl as he was leaving his apartment, which is located in the 17700 block of Red Oak Drive in Houston's northside.
But Peterson, who was on his way to work at 5 a.m., discovered something completely different: an hours-old newborn baby, covered in ants and dirt, laying in a flowerbed. He said he yelled for his wife to call 911 as he ran to find something to get the baby warm and clean.
"She had the mucus and the blood and umbilical cord and everything", he said.
Investigators said they followed a trail of blood to a nearby apartment. I said, 'Oh, man, there is a baby right here. "You see her footprints on the ground". The unidentified woman claimed she didn't know anything about a baby girl being placed behind the bushes.
Detectives knocked on the apartment's door, but the residents refused to open it.
The infant, meanwhile, is under observation at a local hospital.
Deandre Skillern claims to be the the abandoned baby's father and he wants custody
"He heard a murmur and a cry, what he thought was actually a cat", Harris County Deputy Thomas Gilliland told reporters.
But then a 21-year-old woman in the apartment admitted that she was the baby's mother, according to ABC7. "It's a miracle the child was found".
Both the mother and baby were taken to a hospital for evaluation; the mother appeared physically fine, Spencer said.
Investigators say the mother and another person are in custody and could face charges.
The Safe Haven or Baby Moses law gives parents who are unable to care for their child the right to leave the child somewhere like a fire station or hospital without prosecution.
"She walked all the way around that corner bleeding", Peterson said, pointing in the direction.
State budget in limbo after Supreme Court strikes down cigarette fee
The tax would generate about $250-million for the cash strapped state. Mary Fallin said she was disappointed by the ruling .
- Trump praises new United Nations sanctions on North Korea
- Lawmaker: NRA and its chief spokeswomen are a 'domestic security threat'
- WW3 WARNING: Pentagon threatens to 'DESTROY' North Korea after Guam missile threat
- Nigerian military makes unauthorized search of United Nations base
- US Atlantic hurricane season could be 'extremely active'
- Nikki Reed, Ian Somerhalder welcome first child
- Gypsy Canceled by Netflix
- Kenya Opposition Coalition Will 'Not Be Party' To Polls Announcement
- Vessel Aground in St Marys River
- Backed Syrian fighters link up from east, west in Raqqa