A newborn baby girl was found Thursday abandoned and covered in bugs at a Houston, Texas, apartment complex.
Peterson found the newborn baby girl as he was leaving his apartment, which is located in the 17700 block of Red Oak Drive in Houston's northside.
But Peterson, who was on his way to work at 5 a.m., discovered something completely different: an hours-old newborn baby, covered in ants and dirt, laying in a flowerbed. He said he yelled for his wife to call 911 as he ran to find something to get the baby warm and clean.
"She had the mucus and the blood and umbilical cord and everything", he said.
Investigators said they followed a trail of blood to a nearby apartment. I said, 'Oh, man, there is a baby right here. "You see her footprints on the ground". The unidentified woman claimed she didn't know anything about a baby girl being placed behind the bushes.
Detectives knocked on the apartment's door, but the residents refused to open it.
The infant, meanwhile, is under observation at a local hospital.
Deandre Skillern claims to be the the abandoned baby's father and he wants custody
"He heard a murmur and a cry, what he thought was actually a cat", Harris County Deputy Thomas Gilliland told reporters.
But then a 21-year-old woman in the apartment admitted that she was the baby's mother, according to ABC7. "It's a miracle the child was found".
Both the mother and baby were taken to a hospital for evaluation; the mother appeared physically fine, Spencer said.
Investigators say the mother and another person are in custody and could face charges.
The Safe Haven or Baby Moses law gives parents who are unable to care for their child the right to leave the child somewhere like a fire station or hospital without prosecution.
"She walked all the way around that corner bleeding", Peterson said, pointing in the direction.
Nigerian military makes unauthorized search of United Nations base
Samuel said there was no sign to show that the property was a United Nations building, but that no arrest was made there. The clearance operations effort has been yielding several successes.
- Trump praises new United Nations sanctions on North Korea
- Dolphins Rookie LB Raekwon McMillan Tears ACL
- Georgia Official Calls for Criminal Investigation into R. Kelly, Cites New Evidence
- Blue Jays doomed early by Yankees' long bombs
- Berkshire Hathaway Inc. (BRK-B) Lowered to "Sell" at BidaskClub
- Maduro souhaite avoir une "conversation" avec Trump — Venezuela
- Body builder breaks neck, dies after failed back flip
- Gypsy Canceled by Netflix
- Vessel Aground in St Marys River
- Brokerages Set Klondex Mines Ltd (KLDX) PT at $6.00