US Vice President Mike Pence (L) shakes hands with Montenegro's Prime Minister Dusko Markovic (R) prior to their joint press conference in Podgorica on August 2, 2017.
US Vice President Mike Pence said Wednesday that the future of the Western Balkans lay "in the West", on the last leg of a tour aimed at reassuring Eastern European allies anxious by Russian Federation.
Pence is the highest-ranking U.S. official to visit Montenegro in over 100 years of diplomatic relations between the two countries, which began in 1905 when Washington recognised the independence of the Kingdom of Montenegro.
Pence also expressed the United States' unwavering support for Montenegro and admiration for the country's resolve in the face of Russian attempts to divert it from its Euro-Atlantic path, the release said.
Atlanta Braves call up Ozzie Albies for Tuesday's game with Dodgers
The Dodgers optioned LHP Edward Paredes to Triple-A Oklahoma City to make room for LHP Tony Watson , acquired from Pittsburgh. Kenley Jansen pitched a flawless ninth inning, striking out the side for his 28th save of the season.
On August 2, Pence was due to attend the Adriatic Charter summit - a gathering that also brings together leaders from Albania, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Croatia, Macedonia, Kosovo, Serbia, and Slovenia. "He sent me here as a tangible sign of our commitment to Montenegro as the newest member of North Atlantic Treaty Organisation", he added. His Montenegro trip is widely regarded as a show of support both for Montenegro as the newest North Atlantic Treaty Organisation member, and the entire Balkan region amid claims of growing Russian influence.
Montenegro's accession to North Atlantic Treaty Organisation on June 5 - and Georgia's hopes of joining the military alliance - have stirred fury in Moscow, which considers both countries to be in its historic sphere of influence.
According to Montenegrin authorities, Russian state agencies backed an alleged plot to overthrow the pro-Western government in Podgorica last October. Moscow has repeatedly denied the allegations.
- Recommendation Trends to See: Community Health Systems, Inc. (CYH)
- Freakish social media theory suggests Outback Steakhouse really a satanic cult
- Wells Fargo & Company (NYSE:WFC) Cut to Sell at Berenberg Bank
- "Aún queda mucho por luchar", anuncia Leopoldo López embarazo de Tintori
- Gironde. Un bébé tombe dans une piscine, pronostic vital engagé
- CBB's Jordan Davies has ALREADY slated ex Megan McKenna on the show
- David Feherty's son dies from overdose on 29th birthday
- Jack Thorne serait le nouveau scénariste de l'Episode IX
- FoxNews a-t-elle divulgué de fausses informations en faveur de Trump ?
- How increased security at Australian airports will affect you