Lancashire Police announced a breakthrough in the cold case after a man, 51, who lived in Blackpool at the time of Charlene's disappearance was arrested this morning on suspicion of her murder.
Lancashire Police said a 51-year-old man, who lived in Blackpool at the time of Charlene's disappearance, has been arrested on suspicion of the girl's murder and is now in police custody.
"Charlene was just 14 years old when she was last seen in Blackpool on Saturday November 1st 2003".
A £100,000 reward has been offered for information on what happened to Charlene.
Charlene's body has never been found and the case has become Lancashire Police's largest and longest investigation.
Charlene was last seen when she kissed her mother goodbye to go to see friends on Blackpool Promenade.
Two men were previously charged over Charlene's disappearance and joked that the youngster had "gone into kebabs" during a trial in 2007but were acquitted after the jury were unable to reach a verdict.
MTV's "Siesta Key" Premiere Party Canceled Due to Death Threats
The Facebook page titled " Boycott Siesta Key MTV " started up recently, with almost 8,000 followers at the time of this writing. Anyone who purchased tickets to the event will receive a full refund.
It followed the release in November of CCTV images of her daughter on the day she was last seen. Despite numerous media appeals and a £100,000 reward for information leading to the conviction of her killer or killers or the recovery of Charlene's body, no one has ever been brought to justice.
A year ago a cold case team revisited the investigation and discovered CCTV footage of Charlene walking with her sister Rebecca on the day she vanished.
2008: Albattikhi and Reveshi were set to be re-trialled but it's called off due to lack of evidence amid failings in the police investigation.
DETECTIVES are today quizzing a suspect over the murder of teenager Charlene Downes, who is feared to have been chopped up into KEBABS.
Both men were paid nearly £250,000 each in compensation after the trial collapsed and the allegations were not proven.
2011: Officers investigating Charlene's appearance discover at least 60 schoolgirls were groomed for sex at takeaways in Blackpool in exchange for food, alcohol and cigarettes.
- Seahawks sign safety Kam Chancellor to 3-year extension
- Ces joueurs d’origine africaine évoluant pour des nations européennes
- 3 killed in Russian Federation courthouse shooting
- Cent and 'Power' Creator Lash Out at Starz
- Goldman Sachs Group Inc (NYSE:GS) Quarterly Sentiment Report
- Aux Etats-Unis, 12 prisonniers s'évadent grâce à du beurre de cacahuètes
- How to Fix the Nintendo Switch's Battery Indicator
- Ivanka Trump seeks to lower expectations of her influence
- Chimera Investment Corporation (CIM) Shares Sold by Bank of America Corp DE
- New Capitol showdown looms over IL school funding plan