Bihar Minister Khurshid, alias Firoz Ahmad, who was given a "fatwa" for chanting "Jai shri Ram", said he is sorry if he had hurt people's sentiments.
"I will not back down from chanting "Jai Sri Ram" for Bihar's progress and social harmony", said Ahmad at the meeting, sparking protests from JD (U)'s Muslim leaders, who urged him to publicly apologise for his statements.
Ahmad had said on Sunday that he would not hesitate to chant "Jai shri Ram" if it is for harmony and development of the state.
Suhail Ahmed Quasmi who is a Mufti of Imarat e- Sharia, an Islamic religious body in Bihar in his Fatwa declared his Nikah (marriage) null and void and asked him to "apologise in an Islamic manner to remain a Muslim".
The JD (U) MLA from Sikati seat also said, Islam preached tolerance and brotherhood.
Tea time is up for Teavana, the Starbucks subsidiary
Same-store sales from China, where there are 2,800 stores in 130 cities, were up a robust seven per cent in the latest quarter. The announcement came as Starbucks revealed overall net income fell 8.3% to $691.6m for the third quarter ended July 2nd.
"If saying "Jai Shri Ram" is important for the country, then I wouldn't stop myself from saying it". Taking an U turn from his earlier stand, he said he did not shout it for a religious objective.
"Islam teaches us to love, not hate our brothers", he added.
Following the decree, the Muslim minister on Sunday said that he stands firm on his words, as he believes in humanity and serving people of Bihar.
Alam, who had loudly chanted "Jai Shri Ram" in the assembly premises on Friday, had earlier told media here that he hardly bothers about any kind of fatwa against him. I am not afraid of such a fatwa... Speaking about the fatwa, Ahmad said that his god knew his intentions when he shouted the slogan and he is ready to do it several times more for the development of Bihar. "Why should I be scared?" he added. "Every person lives with his or her own beliefs and I did not abuse anyone". He also read the Kalma-E-Shahadat in front of the Mufti to pave his return into the Muslim community once again.
Even as BJP leaders condemned the fatwa and RJD slammed Ahmad, JD (U)'s minorities cell was uncomfortable about the minister's statements and held a meeting at the CM's residence to discuss the controversy.
- Ghatkopar building collapse: Contractor arrested, PM sanctions compensation
- Man arrested in connection to double shooting in southeastern Indiana
- Cubs Present Steve Bartman with Personalized 2016 World Series Champions Ring!
- Schumer calls on FDA to investigate fast food packaging health impact
- You Can Catch Monster Hunter Stories This September
- Mike Pence offers 'prayers and condolences' to Charlie Gard's parents
- Pékin répond à Trump — Corée du Nord
- Youngstown Prosecutor: Suspect had keys to freezer containing body
- Mubarakan And Indu Sarkar First Weekend Business
- Game Of Thrones Just Aired The Most Badass Moment Ever