Bihar Minister Khurshid, alias Firoz Ahmad, who was given a "fatwa" for chanting "Jai shri Ram", said he is sorry if he had hurt people's sentiments.
"I will not back down from chanting "Jai Sri Ram" for Bihar's progress and social harmony", said Ahmad at the meeting, sparking protests from JD (U)'s Muslim leaders, who urged him to publicly apologise for his statements.
Ahmad had said on Sunday that he would not hesitate to chant "Jai shri Ram" if it is for harmony and development of the state.
Suhail Ahmed Quasmi who is a Mufti of Imarat e- Sharia, an Islamic religious body in Bihar in his Fatwa declared his Nikah (marriage) null and void and asked him to "apologise in an Islamic manner to remain a Muslim".
The JD (U) MLA from Sikati seat also said, Islam preached tolerance and brotherhood.
Farewell iPod Nano and iPod Shuffle
The $149 iPod Nano and the $49 iPod Shuffle have been downgraded for a few years and has been moved to become more of a accessory. The move is part what's been described as a "simplification" of the iPod range to leave just the Touch model.
"If saying "Jai Shri Ram" is important for the country, then I wouldn't stop myself from saying it". Taking an U turn from his earlier stand, he said he did not shout it for a religious objective.
"Islam teaches us to love, not hate our brothers", he added.
Following the decree, the Muslim minister on Sunday said that he stands firm on his words, as he believes in humanity and serving people of Bihar.
Alam, who had loudly chanted "Jai Shri Ram" in the assembly premises on Friday, had earlier told media here that he hardly bothers about any kind of fatwa against him. I am not afraid of such a fatwa... Speaking about the fatwa, Ahmad said that his god knew his intentions when he shouted the slogan and he is ready to do it several times more for the development of Bihar. "Why should I be scared?" he added. "Every person lives with his or her own beliefs and I did not abuse anyone". He also read the Kalma-E-Shahadat in front of the Mufti to pave his return into the Muslim community once again.
Even as BJP leaders condemned the fatwa and RJD slammed Ahmad, JD (U)'s minorities cell was uncomfortable about the minister's statements and held a meeting at the CM's residence to discuss the controversy.
- Nintendo 2DS To Launch with a New Super Mario Bros. 2 Bundle
- Tea time is up for Teavana, the Starbucks subsidiary
- Phil Jones suspendu pour avoir enfreint la procédure anti-dopage
- Aus cricket on brink of peace
- ASUS ZenFone 4 Launch Date Revealed: 19th August
- The Coca-Cola Company (KO) closed at $46.01 in the last trading session
- Feuilleton Neymar: le président du Barça se montre fataliste
- Dow notches record high amid strong earnings season
- Ghatkopar building collapse: Contractor arrested, PM sanctions compensation
- Game Of Thrones Just Aired The Most Badass Moment Ever