On Saturday, MLB Network insider Jon Heyman reported that barring a "miracle", Verlander would not be traded prior to the deadline at 4 p.m. on Monday.
This makes sense. Other teams are a bit anxious about Verlander's contract and remain steadfast in not wanting to pay the entire $56 million remaining on his deal.
Donald Trump Fires Chief Of Staff Via Twitter From Air Force One
Kelly's friends and former colleagues describe him as a consummate Marine - loyal to his commander, his mission and his troops. During the interview, Scaramucci made a profanity-laced attack against Priebus and White House chief strategist Steve Bannon.
The biggest reason for a relative lack of interest in Verlander relates to the massive contract attached to him.
Detroit would likely love to get him off the books, though, considering it is a disappointing 45-56 and essentially out of the playoff race. The 34-year-old former Cy Young victor isn't having a great season (4.50 ERA, 1.44 WHIP), he is expensive (he has 2 1/2 years left on his $200 million contract), and the Tigers would rather trade him after the season anyway.
Heyman also points out that Verlander would be a candidate to be traded in August as part of a waiver trade.
Verlander is a six-time All-Star and potential future Hall of Famer, but his combination of advanced age, a huge contract and poor production this season makes him a less than ideal target for pitching-needy teams.
- Conte pense "perdre deux, trois kilos" par match — Chelsea
- Pence to Visit Estonia, Georgia, Montenegro on NATO, Russia
- Trump Rips China for Doing 'Nothing' With NKorea After New Missile Test
- Canada probes possible Saudi use of its equipment in eastern crackdown
- USA hails indictment of Russian in Bitcoin laundering
- Priebus out, Kelly in - abrupt Trump move brings more White House chaos
- 9-Year-Old Trump Fan 'Pickle' Is Real
- Aulas très optimiste pour Juninho — Lyon
- Caroline Garcia qualifiée dans la douleur pour les demi-finales àBastad — Tennis
- La sensation Hanfmann déboule en demi-finale — Gstaad