Philander took two wickets on the first day of the ongoing third Test at The Oval in between bouts of a stomach bug.
England have a big opportunity to cash in on Toby Roland-Jones' dream Test debut at The Oval, but it is one which will be far easier if they can continue to take advantage of Vernon Philander's absence for South Africa.
Heino Kuhn was 10 not out.
Looking like a batsman who has a first-class hundred to his name, his effort included a mishit pulled six and provided sterling service to Ben Stokes as he went on to a formidable century.
The 29-year-old, known as Tobias "The Destroyer" Roland-Jones, made his test debut against South Africa on July 27.
Middlesex seamer Roland-Jones had much reason for personal satisfaction as he said: "I suppose this is the moment that every young kid dreams of, representing their country - and I'm no different".
"The way this afternoon unfolded was something I hadn't pictured [before the match]".
Russian Federation signs deal to use Syria air base for 49 years
The Senate backed the bill , which also imposes sanctions on Iran and North Korea, by a margin of 98-2 with strong support from Trump's fellow Republicans as well as Democrats.
"I think it is one that I have worked the hardest for", he said.
The England vice-captain, who had seen Alastair Cook fall for 88, was unbeaten on 90 when he was joined by No11 Jimmy Anderson at the crease. "I came off the field after the first day and did not feel in the best of form. I was just in the frame of mind to hit it".
"If you look at his economy rates, it's not just about wickets - but that control and the economy rate - and I think on that wicket today and yesterday, the economy just shows we didn't land enough balls in the right areas and ask enough questions". We knew we just had to work through the hard times, and put away any bad balls.
"Thanks to Faf - he took a good catch on the boundary but his momentum just took him over".
"Vernon Philander has been admitted to hospital and is being treated for a probable viral infection", Proteas team manager Mohammed Moosajee said.
"He is on a drip at the moment and getting some other things", said the spokeswoman.
"I thought the first ball was pretty close - and having never used a review system before, I managed to fail at my first attempt", he added, with a rueful smile.
- Priebus Out as Chief of Staff, Replaced with Trump 'Star' John Kelly
- Russia ready to cooperate with US, Russia's Lavrov told Tillerson: ministry
- Russian Federation demands U.S. reduce diplomatic staff
- Barclays PLC Reiterates Buy Rating for Callon Petroleum Company (NYSE:CPE)
- Russian Federation hits back at United States sanctions, ousts diplomats
- Coastal Carolina football coach taking medical leave
- Goffin chute en quarts — Gstaad
- Woj: Celtics yet to make Cleveland an offer for Kyrie Irving
- International Paper Company (NYSE:IP) Earns "Buy" Rating from Jefferies Group LLC
- GOP blame-game begins after Senate sinks health care drive