"The overwhelming demand for NYC Ferry service has far exceeded the city's expectations, affirming the ferry as a key component of building a reliable transit future for Queens", Borough President Melinda Katz said.
One million riders in just under three months.
"I think we understand that if people can't get around, everything that is great about New York City becomes less great for them", said Mayor Bill de Blasio.
The city has clubbed another announcement with this milestone: The Astoria route on the ferry will get started on August 29, and offer a connection from the neighborhood to Pier 11/Wall Street, with stops along the way at Roosevelt Island, Long Island City, and East 34th Street. "The NYC Ferry system is an innovative and sustainable use of our waterways to help residents commute to their jobs, see family, and run errands in Manhattan".
"Roosevelt Island has waited generations for ferry service which will finally arrive this summer", said Councilman Ben Kallos, who represents the area.
Microsoft Introduces Rapid Cloud Container Deployment Service
Azure Container Instances can be used for fast bursting and scaling whereas VMs can be used for the more predictable scaling. Coinciding with the launch of this new Azure service is the release of the open source ACI Connector for Kubernetes .
The cost of riding the NYC Ferry mirrors the cost of a MetroCard, with a $2.75 per-ride fee, and $121 for monthly passes.
As part of the system's celebration, ferries will be offering half off all draft beverages all day long, including beer, wine and iced coffee.
NYC Ferry blew right past 1 million riders with more than 625,000 riders on the East River Route, 221,000 on the Rockaway Route and 154,000 on the South Brooklyn Route, the city news release states. The Astoria route's launch next month will be followed by the Lower East Side, and Soundview, in the Bronx, sometime next year. Weekly ridership on the ferries varies from 8,000 to 12,000, according to the Mayor's Office.
"This is all about creating more access around the city, giving people opportunity regardless of zip code", de Blasio said.
- Channing Capital Management LLC Holds Position in Alphabet Inc. (NASDAQ:GOOG)
- Adrian Beltre Moves On-Deck Circle, Gets Ejected
- So Cal Fugitives Shoot Video Of Jailbreak, Road Trip To San Francisco
- Bienville Capital Management LLC Has $416000 Position in Emerson Electric Company (EMR)
- Viacom Is Said to Drop Out of Bidding for Scripps Networks
- Number of closed NJ beaches reaches 15 after more bacteria found
- First Potomac Realty Trust (NYSE:FPO) Receives An Update From Brokers
- People made from alien atoms from a galaxy far, far away
- Dying Light developers Techland have launched a new storefront called Gemly
- Nicole Kidman supports the going-out bra