Reports say that the company is planning to invest US$6.9 billion to build facilities for the production of the next-generation display technology.
It said its decision on these large-scale investments came at a time when the company's newly-launched large-size OLED panels for TVs such as Wallpaper OLED and Crystal Sound OLED (CSO) are earning popularity in global markets.
This is where Apple comes in: at the very minimum, an investment of 2 trillion won (or about $1.8 in USA currency) is needed for such a move to be possible.
On Tuesday, LG Display announced it will spend 15 trillion won on OLED production lines through 2020, including an upfront investment of 2.8 trillion won in a 10.5th generation large-size OLED production line at its P10 plant in Paju. Both production lines will be added to the company's P10 fab now under construction in Paju, which is expected to emerge as the company's OLED production hub for televisions and mobile devices. For the new project, LG Display will set up a joint venture with the Chinese government, taking a 70% stake valued at 1.8 trillion won ($1.6 billion).
Bienville Capital Management LLC Has $416000 Position in Emerson Electric Company (EMR)
The purchase was disclosed in a document filed with the Securities & Exchange Commission, which is available at the SEC website . Turner Investments LLC bought a new position in shares of General Electric during the fourth quarter valued at about $161,000.
LGD said it will also invest in a new 8.5G (2,200mm X 2,500mm) large-size OLED production line in Guangzhou, China, where the company is already running an LCD panel production plant.
LG plans to dedicate around $2.5 billion to developing a brand new line of larger OLED screens, with $4.5 billion set aside for introducing a range of flexible displays using "plastic OLED" or POLED technology, with hopes that bendable smartphone and vehicle displays will be the next big thing.
Earlier, in April, it was reported that Google expressed its intention to invest one trillion won (US$900 million) in LG Display's flexible OLED production facility. "OLED technology can not be easily copied as it requires more complicated knowledge and know-how than making LCD panels", said Han.
- Dying Light developers Techland have launched a new storefront called Gemly
- Microsoft Introduces Rapid Cloud Container Deployment Service
- E-cigarettes help smokers quit
- People made from alien atoms from a galaxy far, far away
- Ces joueurs d’origine africaine évoluant pour des nations européennes
- Channing Capital Management LLC Holds Position in Alphabet Inc. (NASDAQ:GOOG)
- Gurez infiltration: 3 terrorists killed, operation in progress
- No immediate speed camera use changes planned locally after high court ruling
- First Potomac Realty Trust (NYSE:FPO) Receives An Update From Brokers
- Tech Company Workers To Have Microchips Implanted Into Their Hands