"Dunkirk" won at the box office and "Girls Trip" surprised.
Two new releases led the way over the holdovers at multiplexes over the weekend. And it's Nolan's fourth highest-grossing debut at the U.S. box office, ahead of his previous endeavour Interstellar. He has no other roles (that are known, anyway) on the horizon, but you'd have to think Dunkirk rolling at the box office and positive word of his work spreading can only help his cause. While "Valerian" may have stumbled out of the gate, "Girls Trip" is off to a strong start during a summer that has not been kind to comedies.
Dunkirk also impressed overseas, with a strong $12 million opening in the United Kingdom and $106 million in total worldwide.
West Bengal: Incessant rains flood lowlands
The metropolis recorded 73.9 mm rainfall in 24 hours till 8.30 AM today, resulting in inundation of low-lying areas in some parts of the city.
The well-reviewed Regina Hall, Queen Latifah, Tiffany Haddish and Jada Pinkett Smith comedy "Girls Trip" also beat expectations, taking second place with $30.4 million.
Christopher Nolan's epic from Warner Bros. opened at 3,720 locations, and the film's appeal was boosted by critical and viewer acclaim and the fact that Nolan insisted the movie be shown in high resolution.
While "Valerian" has been credited as being "the most expensive independent movie ever made", with a budget reportedly equal to US$200 million, it is thought that initial filming costs were covered by "equity partners" outside of the studio system.
- Jerry Jones: 'I had a wonderful time before this social media hit'
- StoneMor Partners LP (NYSE:STON) Receives An Update From Brokers
- Nicki Minaj Joined Snapchat And Fans Crashed Her Inbox
- Tour de France - Étape 21 : Groenewegen au sprint, Froome triomphe !
- Iran's Shamkhani: Partitioning trends to escalate insecurity, instability in Iraq
- Norfolk Based Country Singer Killed in Accident While on Tour
- Chicago Bears LB Jerrell Freeman saves choking man at Austin airport
- Researchers Find Hints to a 'Ghost' Species of Ancient Human in Africa
- The Celebrity Big Brother lineup has been LEAKED
- Townsquare Media (NYSE:TSQ) Receiving Somewhat Negative Media Coverage, Report Shows