"Dunkirk" won at the box office and "Girls Trip" surprised.
Two new releases led the way over the holdovers at multiplexes over the weekend. And it's Nolan's fourth highest-grossing debut at the U.S. box office, ahead of his previous endeavour Interstellar. He has no other roles (that are known, anyway) on the horizon, but you'd have to think Dunkirk rolling at the box office and positive word of his work spreading can only help his cause. While "Valerian" may have stumbled out of the gate, "Girls Trip" is off to a strong start during a summer that has not been kind to comedies.
Dunkirk also impressed overseas, with a strong $12 million opening in the United Kingdom and $106 million in total worldwide.
Jerry Jones: 'I had a wonderful time before this social media hit'
The accuser, however, spoke out for the first time Friday with an Instagram post , advocating against domestic violence. The woman accused Elliott of domestic violence on five separate occasions from July 17 to July 22, 2016.
The well-reviewed Regina Hall, Queen Latifah, Tiffany Haddish and Jada Pinkett Smith comedy "Girls Trip" also beat expectations, taking second place with $30.4 million.
Christopher Nolan's epic from Warner Bros. opened at 3,720 locations, and the film's appeal was boosted by critical and viewer acclaim and the fact that Nolan insisted the movie be shown in high resolution.
While "Valerian" has been credited as being "the most expensive independent movie ever made", with a budget reportedly equal to US$200 million, it is thought that initial filming costs were covered by "equity partners" outside of the studio system.
- 12h24 Groenewegen remporte le sprint des Champs-Elysées
- Iran's Shamkhani: Partitioning trends to escalate insecurity, instability in Iraq
- Tour de France en direct : Sur la route des Champs-Elysées
- Carrizo Oil & Gas, Inc
- Hodges backs Arradondo for police chief
- StoneMor Partners LP (NYSE:STON) Receives An Update From Brokers
- Researchers Find Hints to a 'Ghost' Species of Ancient Human in Africa
- Townsquare Media (NYSE:TSQ) Receiving Somewhat Negative Media Coverage, Report Shows
- Tesco extends same day grocery delivery to whole of UK
- Nicki Minaj Joined Snapchat And Fans Crashed Her Inbox