"Dunkirk" won at the box office and "Girls Trip" surprised.
Two new releases led the way over the holdovers at multiplexes over the weekend. And it's Nolan's fourth highest-grossing debut at the U.S. box office, ahead of his previous endeavour Interstellar. He has no other roles (that are known, anyway) on the horizon, but you'd have to think Dunkirk rolling at the box office and positive word of his work spreading can only help his cause. While "Valerian" may have stumbled out of the gate, "Girls Trip" is off to a strong start during a summer that has not been kind to comedies.
Dunkirk also impressed overseas, with a strong $12 million opening in the United Kingdom and $106 million in total worldwide.
Jhulan: 'We can perform better as a team'
England captain Heather Knight and her Indian counterpart Mithali Raj pose with ICC Women's World Cup . Opting to bat first, England produced a competitive total of 228 for 7 in their 50 overs.
The well-reviewed Regina Hall, Queen Latifah, Tiffany Haddish and Jada Pinkett Smith comedy "Girls Trip" also beat expectations, taking second place with $30.4 million.
Christopher Nolan's epic from Warner Bros. opened at 3,720 locations, and the film's appeal was boosted by critical and viewer acclaim and the fact that Nolan insisted the movie be shown in high resolution.
While "Valerian" has been credited as being "the most expensive independent movie ever made", with a budget reportedly equal to US$200 million, it is thought that initial filming costs were covered by "equity partners" outside of the studio system.
- Hodges backs Arradondo for police chief
- Crews rescue all 17 hikers that were stranded near Tucson
- How to watch 'The Bachelorette' season 13, episode 9 online
- Un maire obligé de manger un rat à cause du PSG — Insolite
- Tour de France - Étape 21 : Groenewegen au sprint, Froome triomphe !
- Et de 4 TDF pour Froome !
- Yandex NV (YNDX) Analysts See $0.23 EPS
- Tesco extends same day grocery delivery to whole of UK
- West Bengal: Incessant rains flood lowlands
- Carrizo Oil & Gas, Inc