It's just been provided to some press outlets, or to press that requested it.
Those aforementioned devices fell under Intel's end of support policy, meaning that Microsoft will no longer provide content updates for those devices. Microsoft is promising security patch support through this period.
As a result, these machines are stuck on the Anniversary Update.
Essentially, Intel stopped supporting its Atom Clover Trail chips, a platform that's part of "Cloverview", which Intel first launched in 2012 and 2013. Well, this does affect the overall reach of the Creators Update among all applicable Windows 10 devices.
In an e-mailed statement, a Microsoft spokesperson confirmed today that no software fix is on the way.
Emmanuel Macron dans le peloton — Tour de France
Le Tour s'attaque à deux géants des Alpes, la Croix-de-Fer et le Galibier , deux cols hors catégorie à franchir sur le parcours. Le président de la République va vivre la grande bataille pour la victoire dans le Tour de France aux premières loges.
On the other hand, this policy also means users will receive new versions of Windows for free as Microsoft continues to update the OS.
Last year, Terry Myerson, executive vice president for Microsoft's Windows and Devices Group, had announced modified Windows support plans, based on the processor used, including Intel Skylake chips, although the Intel Atom chip weren't mentioned at that time. Microsoft later published a list of Intel Skylake PCs with truncated Windows product support. As a result, Microsoft will extend support for the Anniversary Update until January 2023 to put it in line with the Windows 8.1 schedule.
The only public notice about Microsoft's support plans for Atom chips seems to have been this April support forum post. Microsoft will continue to support Windows 10, obviously, since it is their current OS, but it is odd that certain PCs might lose support. Along with this updated delivery cadence, we adjusted our support lifecycle policies to reflect the Windows as a Service model. AdDuplex calls it a mystery as to why such issue exists.
Had those with Clover Trail PCs not upgraded to Windows 10 and remained on Windows 8.1, they would be supported until 2023, the scheduled end of life for Windows 8.1. But given that these PCs aren't terribly ancient, the company has made a decision to extend support for them until 2023.
- Targa Resources, Inc. (NYSE:TRGP) Lifted to "Outperform" at Wells Fargo & Company
- More mountains to climb for Theresa May on Alpine holiday
- Person of interest in Vermont murder arrested during Downers Grove traffic stop
- See Pictures: Aamir Khan enjoying family vacation in Italy
- McIlroy keeps his cool and fights back after poor start
- More Foreign Workers Requested By Trump's Mar-A-Lago
- Telangana drug scam: War of words erupt between Digvijay Singh and KTR
- Osinbajo now meeting APC govs
- A day on the Tour de France
- Adams Asset Advisors LLC Acquires 5700 Shares of Apple Inc. (NASDAQ:AAPL)