The provincial government has announced a $100 a month increase to income assistance and disability rates, starting September 20. He says reversing that trend will take time, but today's increase - which needs 60 days to take effect - is a good first step.
"Lifting families out of poverty starts with raising income assistance rates and assistance for people with disabilities", said Horgan. Individuals on income assistance and disability will see the increase on the September 27, 2017 cheque.
Under the new monthly rates, a person receiving disability assistance will get $1,133 a month and a person on income assistance will get $710.
Atara Biotherapeutics, Inc. (ATRA) Position Increased by EcoR1 Capital LLC
Following the sale, the chief executive officer now owns 725,951 shares in the company, valued at approximately $12,580,730.83. Winslow Evans & Crocker Inc decreased Select Sector Spdr Tr (XLV) stake by 4,506 shares to 3,058 valued at $209,000 in 2016Q4.
According to the release, the raise will move B.C. from one of the lowest assistance rates to the third-highest in Canada.
"Raising the rates is only the beginning".
While former premier Christy Clark raised disability rates by $50 earlier this year, welfare rates had been frozen for a decade. "Our government is committed to bring forward a comprehensive poverty reduction plan to lift children and families out of poverty", added Horgan in a statement. This came after criticism over the increase in the price of bus passes for people with disabilities.
- Parametric Portfolio Associates LLC Raises Stake in Capital Trust, Inc. (NYSE:BXMT)
- Mads Mikkelsen in Talks to Play Villain in 'Chaos Walking'
- Two new 'Harry Potter-'themed books on the way
- Missoula man, 19, dies while fighting forest fire
- Gun seized from man who threatened firefighters
- Officer allegedly refused service at McDonald's in Virginia
- No anti-lynching law says Government
- Esben W. Pedersen Sells 1200 Shares of Pattern Energy Group Inc
- Dramatic video captures firefighters resuscitating a dog rescued from fire
- PSG sporting director in London to finalize deal for Alexis Sanchez