Police have seized 255kg of crystal methamphetamine in California, and $2.4m (£1.84m) in cash in Victoria, Australia.
Police have seized 255 kilograms of ice in California, and $2.4 million in cash in Victoria's north-west, as part of an investigation into an alleged conspiracy to use a light plane to export drugs from the U.S. to Australia.
A 72-year-old man is one of three Australians arrested over an alleged plot to smuggle more than 250kg of crystal meth into the country on a light plane.
"What this operation shows us is the length criminal syndicates will go to import drugs into our country", AFP Superintendent Krissy Barrett said, according to The Australian.
The 72-year-old was subsequently arrested at Melbourne Airport on July 5, with police alleging he planned to fly to the USA before piloting the light aircraft back to Australia.
Unilever posts first half sales growth despite weak margarine performance
Unilever said earnings per share rose 14.4% from the same period past year to €1.13 for the six months ending in June, well ahead of the FactSet consensus of €0.84 per share.
The Australian Federal Police (AFP) confirmed in a statement that a joint investigation with the United States Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) resulted in 255 kilograms of crystal methamphetamine being uncovered in a storage facility in California in June, valued at approximately $255 million. He was arrested on 5 July at Melbourne airport. He was later arrested in connection with a $2.4m (£1.84m) seizure of cash in Mildura, Australia.
The third man, aged 58, was arrested in Sunshine, in Melbourne's west.
All three men have been charged with conspiracy to import a commercial quantity of drugs and are due to face court.
The drugs were to be hidden in the plane, Barrett said.
AFP Superintendent Krissy Barrett said the force's strategy to tackle the problem of ice was to target worldwide syndicates.
- Iran medal tally at World Para Athletics Championships climbs to 6
- Over 500000 passports issued so far this year - Coveney
- Bus falls into gorge in north Indian hill state, killing 25
- We have the start date for Celebrity Big Brother
- " "François Lecointre, un " marsouin " aux commandes
- RTL toujours leader, RMC reste devant Europe 1 — Audiences radio
- Brazil freezes assets of ex-president Lula in corruption case
- The TransCanada Corporation (TRP) Receiving Very Positive Media Coverage, Report Finds
- Chelsea announce Alvaro Morata deal with Real Madrid
- Azerbaijani side doesn't lead OSCE Mission to its positions