Police have seized 255kg of crystal methamphetamine in California, and $2.4m (£1.84m) in cash in Victoria, Australia.
Police have seized 255 kilograms of ice in California, and $2.4 million in cash in Victoria's north-west, as part of an investigation into an alleged conspiracy to use a light plane to export drugs from the U.S. to Australia.
A 72-year-old man is one of three Australians arrested over an alleged plot to smuggle more than 250kg of crystal meth into the country on a light plane.
"What this operation shows us is the length criminal syndicates will go to import drugs into our country", AFP Superintendent Krissy Barrett said, according to The Australian.
The 72-year-old was subsequently arrested at Melbourne Airport on July 5, with police alleging he planned to fly to the USA before piloting the light aircraft back to Australia.
We have the start date for Celebrity Big Brother
The new series of Celebrity Big Brother is set to start on August 1, just four days after the current run of the civilian series ends.
The Australian Federal Police (AFP) confirmed in a statement that a joint investigation with the United States Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) resulted in 255 kilograms of crystal methamphetamine being uncovered in a storage facility in California in June, valued at approximately $255 million. He was arrested on 5 July at Melbourne airport. He was later arrested in connection with a $2.4m (£1.84m) seizure of cash in Mildura, Australia.
The third man, aged 58, was arrested in Sunshine, in Melbourne's west.
All three men have been charged with conspiracy to import a commercial quantity of drugs and are due to face court.
The drugs were to be hidden in the plane, Barrett said.
AFP Superintendent Krissy Barrett said the force's strategy to tackle the problem of ice was to target worldwide syndicates.
- Nuveen Performance Plus Municipal Fund
- Northwest Natural Gas Company
- Brazil freezes assets of ex-president Lula in corruption case
- ADB projects 7.4% growth for India in 2017
- Hackers steal $32 million worth Ether in a recent hack
- White Sox Game Notes For Tuesday vs. LA Dodgers
- Keita excited about RB Leipzig despite Liverpool talk, says Hasenhuttl
- Unilever posts first half sales growth despite weak margarine performance
- " "François Lecointre, un " marsouin " aux commandes
- Anti-Hindi activists to intensify stir, meet in New Delhi | Bengaluru