Everton said Wednesday that the Argentina center back, who tore his meniscus while on worldwide duty in March, had an operation in Barcelona that will "require prolonged rehabilitation of a minimum of six to nine months".
Now he has undergone surgery in Spain and is set to miss the bulk of the coming season. The surgery has been a success and he is expected to be able to return to play in approximately four weeks.
Insider delivers latest news on Alexis Sanchez's Arsenal future
On Monday, Wenger became the longest serving manager in Premier League history and he's celebrated by snatching himself some Arsenal trainers.
He suffered a meniscus tear while playing for Argentina against Bolivia in March, an injury which curtailed his season at Everton.
Everton defender Ramiro Funes Mori is expected to be out for six to nine months after undergoing knee surgery in Barcelona.
The 23-year-old's deal is up next summer and Koeman has repeatedly stated he would need to make a decision on his Everton career one way or another during this summer's window.
- Stock Buzz: MGM Resorts International (NYSE:MGM)
- MV Agusta to launch 3 new motorcycles in 2017
- $100 million in renovations underway at Ford Field
- ADB projects 7.4% growth for India in 2017
- Northwest Natural Gas Company
- Japanese Yen Weakens as BOJ Holds, Lowers CPI Forecasts Again
- Body believed to be missing Elyria woman found in Darke County
- Over 500000 passports issued so far this year - Coveney
- Forest Whitaker Joins 'Empire' This Fall as 'Uncle Eddie'
- Suspect ditches auto , jumps onto moving train during Charlotte police chase