In a statement issued by the Defense department, Lorenzana, chairman of the Task Force Bangon Marawi to rebuild and rehabilitate the war-torn city, said the work ahead after the fighting is even more daunting given the extent of damage done to the city.
Without giving any details so as not to preempt President Rodrigo Duterte, the Department of National Defense (DND) said Sunday it has already forwarded its recommendation to the Chief Executive on whether or not to extend martial law in Marawi and the rest of Mindanao.
Clearing operations in four barangays in Marawi still occupied by the Islamic State-inspired militants are still ongoing, according to Arevalo.
But he said the government is concerned with the safety and welfare of all civilians, especially women and children.
Tomorrow marks the eighth week of fighting between government troops and the IS-linked terrorist groups in Marawi.
"For the safety of everyone, it is better to just wait for the end of hostilities and the completion of clearing operations", the presidential spokesman said.
New MCC rules to force Mahendra Singh Dhoni to change bats?
The rules say that the thick edges of the bats, which are heavier towards the bottom, will now have to be limited to within 40mm. The cricketer said sooner or later he'll have to followed the new specifications, therefore it's better using it from now on.
Most of the buildings, the military said, are located in Marawi's central business district where terrorist snipers, in particular, have been holed up to delay the liberation of the city which they besieged on May 23 that prompted Duterte to impose martial law over troubled Mindanao.
Civilians rescued from the clutches of the Maute Group are still at 1,723, Arevalo revealed on Sunday.
Philippine National Police (PNP) chief Director General Ronald dela Rosa said policemen involved in fighting the Maute terrorists will get almost 3,000 high-powered firearms also from China.
Last month, China donated rifles and ammunition to the Philippine military to combat terrorism.
Dela Rosa said authorities are still processing the firearms before actual distribution as part of the process to legalize the documents of all donated firearms.
- Health officials warn of increase in food-borne illness caused by parasite
- (IPAR) to Post $0.17 Earnings Per Share
- Nod for Airport at Kanjirappally; Targets Sabarimala Pilgrims
- Cae Ángel Villar, el hombre fuerte del fútbol español — FIFAGate
- Senadores republicanos analizarían acuerdo bipartidista para reformar el Obamacare
- Nasdaq, S&P open at record highs
- Trade analysis: Yankees used deep farm system to address needs
- Liverpool Reportedly Have £66M Naby Keita Bid Turned Down by RB Leipzig
- Michigan QB Wilton Speight makes the Davey O'Brien Award watch list
- Dunkirk Marks the Debut of One Direction Star, Harry Styles