A 70-year-old Home Depot employee was sacked after attempting to stop shoplifters from making off with tools from a Pearland store.
Trying to do the right thing - Jim Tinney says that has guided him pretty well in life.
Jim Tinney jumped into action last month when he saw three men running out of the store carrying tool sets.
'One of them hollered, "let's go" and they all grabbed their kits and started heading out, ' he said.
Reacting instinctively, Tinney said he threw the paint roller extension he was holding at them, hitting one of the shoplifters in the foot.
Technical Focus on Shares of Bell Financial Group Ltd
Being able to see the overall picture when the markets become turbulent may allow the investor to move forward with confidence. It can be extremely hard to decide when to sell, especially when data seems positive and most signs are pointing higher.
"In the Army, they train you to do things like that", Tinney told the station. The men ended up getting away. "But terminate me? That's pretty strong", Tinney said, adding that it's been hard for him to find a new job. Tinney said he thought it was over until two weeks later when he was sacked.
Home Depot's Director of Corporate Communications Stephen Holmes also released a statement regarding the incident, saying that their department store has a very strict policy that should be observed by their security staff when dealing with shoplifters. "We've had deaths and serious injury over the years, and no amount of merchandise is more important than the safety of our associates and customers", Holmes wrote.
"I think they could have written me up and reprimanded me". "I'm 70 years old". I need to work. He admits his training at the store was clear - he should not confront shoplifters. I needed that job. I enjoyed working with the customers helping figure out what they want to do.
A tough lesson for a man who's been around the world serving his country that serving the company he worked for might mean holding off on what seems like a good deed.
"In fact, in just the past 24 hours we've had two shoplifters pull guns at two different stores at both ends of the country", Holmes' statement continued.
- Dimensional Fund Advisors LP Buys 55939 Shares of IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. (IDXX)
- Harry Styles felt numb at the end of Dunkirk
- Priyanka Chopra gives IIFA 2017 a miss: Here's why
- Independent Bank Corporation (NASDAQ:IBCP) Receiving Somewhat Positive News Coverage, Study Finds
- STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI Featurette Will Give You Chills
- French Montana Drops New Album 'Jungle Rules'
- Donald Trump hits out at poll showing his approval rating has plummeted
- ANC MP Makhosi Khoza warned
- Knicks working on deal to move 'Melo — NBA notes
- Libyan UN-backed PM calls for new elections