He had what looked like blisters on his left foot taped at the start of the third set and willed himself to make it something of a contest.
For Federer, age was not an issue as he dominated his opponent, seven years younger in all the three sets.
He is 6-1 against Cilic, including a victory in the Wimbledon quarterfinals a year ago when Federer came back after dropping the opening two sets and facing three match points.
With his record set on Sunday, Federer passed one of the men he defeated in the 2001 Wimbledon tournament, Pete Sampras, who tied the record in the year 2000 that was previously held by William Renshaw in 1889. Then, after Wimbledon, he did not play at all the rest of the year, skipping the Rio Olympics, the U.S. Open and everything else in an attempt to let his knee fully heal.
With this win, he moves to no. 3 in the world and further stamps his authority as the Greatest of All Time (GOAT). However, the Swiss superstar's 11th Wimbledon final and 29th at the majors will also be remembered for the moving sight of the popular Cilic breaking down in tears after slipping 3-0 behind in the second set. On the changeover, Cilic began sobbing in his chair, covering his face with a towel as a trainer came to his side.
Carillion calls in accountant EY to cut costs
Lot C3 of the contract is for Brackley to Long Itchington Wood Green Tunnel South Portal and its worth GBP616 million. This article was published on 17 Jul 2017 (last updated on 17 Jul 2017).
The doctor and physio returned at the end of the set and spoke to Cilic for a prolonged period of time.
During the final the Swiss player, ranked fifth worldwide, beat Marin Cilic (Cro/APT 6) in three sets (6-3, 6-1, 6-4).
After the match, Federer dedicated the victory to his family.
The 2015 US Open champion, said: "It was just a feeling that I knew that I could not give my best on the court, that I could not give my best game and my best tennis". Only Rod Laver (four) and Ken Rosewall (four) won more majors after turning 30.
"I truly believed", said Federer, whose latest Wimbledon victory will see him bank £2.2m in prize money.
- In Wake Of Brexit Merkel Vows To Strengthen EU
- Modi asks state govts to come down hard on cow vigilantes
- Macron appelle la justice à "la clarté" — Affaire Sarah Halimi
- Herrera: "I thought I'd be playing with Morata at Man United"
- Sam Bird on cusp of huge weekend at New York City ePrix
- Naz Baloch joins PPP, parts ways with PTI
- Meizu Pro 7 Release Date Gets Officially Confirmed
- Mets GM Sandy Alderson Doesn't "Foresee" Team Calling Up Tim Tebow
- Bookmakers close markets on Joe Hart as deal is agreed
- Murray, Hingis Win Wimbledon Mixed Doubles