He had what looked like blisters on his left foot taped at the start of the third set and willed himself to make it something of a contest.
For Federer, age was not an issue as he dominated his opponent, seven years younger in all the three sets.
He is 6-1 against Cilic, including a victory in the Wimbledon quarterfinals a year ago when Federer came back after dropping the opening two sets and facing three match points.
With his record set on Sunday, Federer passed one of the men he defeated in the 2001 Wimbledon tournament, Pete Sampras, who tied the record in the year 2000 that was previously held by William Renshaw in 1889. Then, after Wimbledon, he did not play at all the rest of the year, skipping the Rio Olympics, the U.S. Open and everything else in an attempt to let his knee fully heal.
With this win, he moves to no. 3 in the world and further stamps his authority as the Greatest of All Time (GOAT). However, the Swiss superstar's 11th Wimbledon final and 29th at the majors will also be remembered for the moving sight of the popular Cilic breaking down in tears after slipping 3-0 behind in the second set. On the changeover, Cilic began sobbing in his chair, covering his face with a towel as a trainer came to his side.
Modi asks state govts to come down hard on cow vigilantes
Earlier in June, in Ahmedabad at Sabarmati Ashram, the PM had said that killing in the name of "gau raksha" is unacceptable . There is a widespread feeling that cow is like a mother but this should not let people take law in their own hands.
The doctor and physio returned at the end of the set and spoke to Cilic for a prolonged period of time.
During the final the Swiss player, ranked fifth worldwide, beat Marin Cilic (Cro/APT 6) in three sets (6-3, 6-1, 6-4).
After the match, Federer dedicated the victory to his family.
The 2015 US Open champion, said: "It was just a feeling that I knew that I could not give my best on the court, that I could not give my best game and my best tennis". Only Rod Laver (four) and Ken Rosewall (four) won more majors after turning 30.
"I truly believed", said Federer, whose latest Wimbledon victory will see him bank £2.2m in prize money.
- Leak reveals Xiaomi 5X with Snapdragon 625 SoC, 5.5-inch display
- Mort d'Anne Golon, la créatrice de la saga "Angélique Marquise des Anges"
- Hundreds in Hollywood call for an end to the Trump Administration
- Macron appelle la justice à "la clarté" — Affaire Sarah Halimi
- Arjun Kapoor looks stunning 'Sardaar' in this new song from 'Mubarkan'
- New Look At Sony's Spider-Man Video Game
- Mets GM Sandy Alderson Doesn't "Foresee" Team Calling Up Tim Tebow
- 14 juillet : le nombre de voitures brûlées en hausse
- Sam Bird on cusp of huge weekend at New York City ePrix
- Simon Pagenaud claims Honda Indy Toronto pole and lap record